Photo

Sample clip of Negative Film telecined in HD?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gabriele Turchi

Gabriele Turchi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Colorist

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:24 AM

Some years ago (5 i think)i was interested in a super 8 world ,i've start to try learn how to expose correctly the Film, I purchased a Beaulieu 1008s etc...Than the first 24p digital camera came out , so i left the super 8 to explore digital (not so right choice,but comprensible at the time...)
But now after 5 years (and a couple of shooting with Viper Filmstream , Panasonic Varicam etc...)I am interested again in super 8 (this is because i have also start to take picture in medium format Film (like 6x7) ,and i Love the Film!!!!
So to start to shoot my ideas as a Film Maker i have decided to explore again super 8 format.

I have just bought a Leicina Special Camera (and i am going to by the 10mm prime lens Cinegon)

I read that now some society in USA offer a HD telecine uncompressed transfer,from your post i understood that quality it's amazing (someone said even very close to 16mm....)

So,I would like to ask you if somebody have (or have a link) of a short clip (even compressed in H264 480p should be ok) of Super 8 Negative Film Stock (like Vision 2) telecined in HD uncompressed,
even 30 sec should be ok , it's just to understand the best potentiality (in terms of quality) of super 8 format.

I know that the best way to see it is to shoot something by myself and do the HD telecine, but actually i am still waiting the camera ,than i have to order some film ,than i have to ship in USA the Film to process and Telecine (because i live in Italy and here there is company that i know that provide an HD telecine...),so from now to see the result a month it's necessary....

So if someone if so kind to share it i'll be grateful (maybe i can offer my server to upload the clip...)

Thank you very much in advance

Gabriele

#2 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:53 AM

Sorry for just quickposting this reply as I am on the run:

I wholeheartedly second your rationale, line of thinking and technical and cinematographic approach. I share it 100%.

The Schneider Cinegon is a formidable lens, and I would absolutely recommend to buy one for your Leicina. If you go down the HD or 2K route, then such a prime is minimum, together with the Schneider 11x6mm if you absolutely have to use a vario lens.

I got a viewing of Super 8 via Todd-AO here in London of such a HD telecine job, as part of a larger business seek-out to telecine the backcatalogue of the film group I am part of. On Line Video 46 in Zürich is also a potentially good address to contact.

Please do also allow me to direct you to our very own Giles Perkins' website with a teaser trailer shot by Daniel, who applied a 2K DI post chain to Super 8 using a Beaulieu 4008 ZM II with default vario and prime lenses as well as a Zeiss prime (can't remember the exact one now)

We got a fab teaser of Daniel Henríquez-Ilic Halogenuros project on the Super 8 podcast - it's in higher res h264 ipod and Apple TV compliant

http://onsuper8.blog...een-teaser.html

I hope that helps. Keep me posted how it goes..!

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

The Slider

Metropolis Post