Photo

Self-Taught Cinematographer - rip me a new one! :)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Earl Newton

Earl Newton

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Producer

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:40 PM

Hey there folks -

I'm Earl, I've been lurking on the site for awhile, and really appreciate the amount of great information from everyone.

Be assured that I will be stealing from all of you. :)

I came up as a writer originally, evolved into producing my own work, and now do a sci-fi series on the Internet that I shoot/edit/bleed for/etc.

I'm posting this sample because I'd really like to get some thoughts on how I can improve my cinematography. There is a certain quality missing in what I'm doing right now, and I can't peg what it is, but I'm pretty sure the folks here can give me some good tips. :)

This might move a bit fast, but it'll give a good sample of my work overall (a few shots were done by another up-and-coming DP, but by-and-large those are me).

Thanks for your time, and thanks again for this terrific site -
Earl Newton

#2 Earl Newton

Earl Newton

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Producer

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:52 AM

No, seriously.

#3 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:59 AM

I thought it mostly looked fine. There are a couple of day exterior shots that I wasn't too thrilled with. The highlights were blown out and there wasn't much in terms of controlling the light as far as I could see. Those day exterior shots felt like a home-movie shot with a VHS for some reason. Could be the frame rate too.

Video can look very good, you just have to remember to expose for the highlights so they don't blow out (unless you want them too, of course) and then bring up your shadows so you don't lose all information you want to see.

But that's just my opinion based on an internet box for what it's worth. ;)

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:19 PM

Agreed that it doesn't look too bad. It's hard to see with the youtube compression and before I've had y 3rd cup of coffee for the day; but it looks pretty good. The day ext doest look a bit lackluster; but i was very impressed with the opening church scene. The only issue i had was the woman's face on the reverse from the picture which speaks to her; it felt just a bit muddied in my opinion, maybe just a little bit more light on her would've helped. but, yes, good job, and keep it up!

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Opal

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC