Owen Donovan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brooklyn

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:22 PM

Hey all,

So I'm leaving the quiet confines of Brooklyn College and heading out looking for work. I've put this reel together and am looking for feedback on making it as appealing as possible. Any suggestions are welcome.

Owen Donovan Showreel

M2 and nikon lenses
DVX-100A, FX-1, HVX-200

Thank You,

Owen Donovan

P.S. Student Filmmaker Magazine this month has an article on lens adapters, my work is featured and not too many pages away from an article by David Mullen! if anyone out there is looking in to getting one you should check it out!

#2 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:30 PM

Nice stuff. I personally like variety. I find that variety on a reel is key as most people when looking for a DP are looking for something already in their mind. For example, I worked at a multi conglomerate Ad agency for years and watched how everyone looked at reels. I saw many a great reel get thrown in the garbage. It was always about a need and their desire to find a DP who didn't necessarily have a good reel but a shot that fit what they were looking for. So while we'd watch twenty reels, with some of them being really solid, when we had a spot that needed a shot of dominos falling, it meant all anyone wanted to find was a DP that had a shot of dominos falling. And that is a true story based on a campaign we did for a major US airline. We passed over some pretty big names all because one guy had not only dominos falling but a sequence that looked similar to the story board we were working off.

Your stuff is a good start and you will be able to add and subtract to what you have built so far, but I think it is a good dramatic representation as is. One minor point is that I am not a fan of popular music on reels as it can often jade a persons interpretaiton. I'd say as you find work, don't leave out the less dramatic as you'll be covering your bases when folks need good shooters who can do more. By that I mean it's very easy to be typecast, similar to the scenario I mentioned earlier. Looking for someone that can do great talking head shots but you have none so in peoples mind you don't know how to do talking heads even though you could probably do them as good as anyone.

While I've personally never had a reel, I've many times experienced this bias. I was recently flown out to the midwest to do a campaign spot for one of the three big Presidential candidates. The reason I was asked to do the spot they wanted was because I had done a shot once for one of the guys who hired me that was a tabletop, but in his mind had exactly the same attitude they needed in this spot. GO figure!

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:00 PM

I kinda like the switch in mood from somewhat goofy to jazzy. Though I think a really memorable reel to some degree is like a good movie trailer -- the first few shots hook you and the last few build to some sort of emotional climax. Of course, the trick is to find some music that also has that structure, and then the shots that match that build-up. This is also why it's good to find a piece of music that isn't much longer than 3 minutes because if it's much longer than that, some people might turn it off before they get to a climax.

As you shoot more stuff, you can whittle away some of the less interesting shots, but it is a solid reel overall.

Abel Cine

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks