#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:59 PM

I bought another dallies projector! THIS one SHOULD conform the SMPTE specs with a little modification.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It has a SuperSimplex head, will run interlocked mag reels and read optical sound. I have to upgrade the lamphouse to a Xenon 500 to 1000 watt one and install a red reader head but it should do what is needed for grading and QC. It also can with 6 aperture plates. This thing should do everything I want once I've done a few things to it! B)

#2 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:20 AM

Nice.

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:40 AM

GOOD GRIEF! What on earth will you do with that "thing?"

R,

#4 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:47 AM

How much was it, if you don't mind my asking?

Is it JUST for dailies projection? And if so...do you have a large screening room that'll hold that beast?

#5 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:12 AM

Steven has let me know that he is trying to stay in an all optical path for his productions. So, he wants to use positive film dailies and 35mm mag stock for reviewing dailies and doing WPs. This projector fits into his workflow. All of the old optical post gear is going for next to nothing these days. It's not a bad way to go if he can keep his lab costs down. I respect what he's trying to do.

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:52 AM

How much was it, if you don't mind my asking?

Is it JUST for dailies projection? And if so...do you have a large screening room that'll hold that beast?

I got it at a fair price, so it's worth the mods I have to do. I have one of the studios, studio A, on the lower level that has a small 10 by 20 ft room behind it. I also have a set of 2 low, 3 tiered risers from when the studio was a acting workshop and playhouse. One riser has the old Black Sky flight deck set on it, the other has the Captain's quarter's set. Both will be removed and stored until we resume production on that project. I will put the risers on casters and make them mobile then turn the back room into a projection booth. all that will take is cutting a projection hole and a view port, putting in glass, the sound proof and the equipment. I don't even need a MUT, as I can use the KEMs and editing room table acroos the studio next to the lab. the room. I'll bolt about 50 seats (NICE vintage theater seats are going for as little as 3 and 4 dollars each, in some cases, free if you go get them OR I may just use the stackable chairs I used in the acting workshops but actual theater seats would be a LOT cooler!) to the risers and move them against the booth wall then but a portable 14 x 8 ft projection screen at the other end of studio A, add some theater speakers on casters and woalla, instant screening room! I can then roll everything (except the risers) into the camera truck and project dallies on location OR run 35mm for friends, family or events,(I'm gonna start picking up some prints of films I like and classics that need to be kept and preserved) EVEN screen film for any potential investors at their locations. Pretty cool huh! B)

#7 Marc Roessler

Marc Roessler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:55 PM

Just wondering whether the "Bi-Pack" takeup spool will work... won't there be more
and more slack on the inner film layer as the reel grows larger?

My preferred setup would be a Bauer B14 Studio, which was factory built for studio use.
Hard to come by, of course, especially outside Europe (Bauer was a German company)
http://cgi.ebay.de/B...2QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.kinoteam....r_bau_b_14.html
http://www.kinotechn...5mm/b14alt1.jpg
All reels/frictions are built using motors, so the B14 can run forward and reverse up to 50 fps,
even while using the optical sound head.

Greetings,
Marc

#8 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:48 AM

Just wondering whether the "Bi-Pack" takeup spool will work... won't there be more
and more slack on the inner film layer as the reel grows larger?

My preferred setup would be a Bauer B14 Studio, which was factory built for studio use.
Hard to come by, of course, especially outside Europe (Bauer was a German company)
http://cgi.ebay.de/B...2QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.kinoteam....r_bau_b_14.html
http://www.kinotechn...5mm/b14alt1.jpg
All reels/frictions are built using motors, so the B14 can run forward and reverse up to 50 fps,
even while using the optical sound head.

Greetings,
Marc

I didn't design the system but it was designed for a film studio so I imagine it works fine. I personally would prefer this set up:

Posted Image

A Century SA "Warnerphponic"-interlock projector/sound reproducer but we all gotta go with what's possible. Mine may be the Volkswagen version of this but it will do what I need it to do. B)

#9 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:04 PM

A Century SA "Warnerphponic"-interlock projector/sound reproducer but we all gotta go with what's possible. Mine may be the Volkswagen version of this but it will do what I need it to do. B)

One of my all time favorites, 'Helen of Troy', had warnerphonic sound.

#10 Buddy Greenfield

Buddy Greenfield
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:38 PM

Was it 1st purchased for use by CBS?
I find the road gear travels in it's lifetime interesting if documented.

Thanks

#11 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:57 PM

I believe so. I bought it from Rick Force over at 35mm film collector forum and I remember somewhere in the back of my head, him saying he got it from CBS. GREAT guy to work with. If you ever have the chance do business with him have NO worries, He does everything he says he's going to and more. B)

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio