Kenneth Kragh Jensen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

Dear Forum,

In a research project where timing is important I need to know what the standard timing of shutter openings is in relation to the frame duration:

If I record at, for instance, 10 fps, then each frame has a duration of 1/6 seconds or or 166.7 ms. If record with a shutter speed of say 1/100 the duration of the shutter opening is 10 ms. The question is then: does the shutter open at time 0 to 10 ms in a frame or for instance in the middle of the frame duration, i.e from time 78.3 ms to time 88.3 ms?

Does anyone have the answer to this or can guide me to a info source?

Thank you,

Best Regards,
Kenneth

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:17 PM

Dear Forum,

In a research project where timing is important I need to know what the standard timing of shutter openings is in relation to the frame duration:

If I record at, for instance, 10 fps, then each frame has a duration of 1/6 seconds or or 166.7 ms. If record with a shutter speed of say 1/100 the duration of the shutter opening is 10 ms. The question is then: does the shutter open at time 0 to 10 ms in a frame or for instance in the middle of the frame duration, i.e from time 78.3 ms to time 88.3 ms?

Does anyone have the answer to this or can guide me to a info source?

Thank you,

Best Regards,
Kenneth

Hi,

If a film camera has a 180 degree shutter at 10 fps the shutter speed is 1/20th. The shutter is open when the film is stationery.

I don't understand how you get your 166.7ms figure from, so can't help you further.

Stephen

#3 Kenneth Kragh Jensen

Kenneth Kragh Jensen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:15 AM

Hi,

If a film camera has a 180 degree shutter at 10 fps the shutter speed is 1/20th. The shutter is open when the film is stationery.

I don't understand how you get your 166.7ms figure from, so can't help you further.

Stephen

I know this may be the wrong forum for this question, but I was thinking more of digital cameras and the like with CCD chips. How is the shutter opening placed in relation to the time code of the frames?

Sorry I meant 100 ms available for each frame and not 166.7 ms when the frame rate is 10 fps.

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Opal

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport