Photo

Here's a wild idea, I wonder if the labs in Mexico are any cheaper?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:21 AM

I just had a thought, I wonder if the labs in Mexico are any cheaper? Every other industry in the US is out sourcing, why not low budget film? I took a look and there are like 6 or 7 labs in Mexico that are capable of processing 35mm film. I plan to process my own film but for cutting the negative and making up the answer print I thought going through a commercial lab may be better smarter as I still don't have an optical printer to marry the optical sound to the print. Maybe Mexico is the place to have that done, the films I've seen come out of there are pretty professional looking other that the slight concern of piracy, why not?

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 22 December 2007 - 12:22 AM.

#2 Jess Haas

Jess Haas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Monica, Ca

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:53 AM

Reliable shipping to/from Mexico could be an issue. If the lab is close enough to drive it then that might be an option.

~Jess

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:52 PM

How are the prices up in Canada?

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:41 AM

When I was in film school a long time ago we had a guest speaker from the film Romancing the Stone come and speak at our college. They claimed that no matter how hard they tried to get the Mexican lab to maintain clean processing, after just a couple of days the quality of the processing work would start to diminish. So that was then, who knows about now?

#5 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:33 AM

Se habla Espanol?

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:00 AM

Not much, but I live in El Paso, so finding someone who can translate....not what you would call a MAJOR problem. Se so yes they are significantly cheaper? What kind of experience have you had with them? What's the going rate per foot for 35mm? B)

#7 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:28 PM

Reliable shipping to/from Mexico could be an issue. If the lab is close enough to drive it then that might be an option.

~Jess

Not necessarily, if you ship insured DHL /UPS/ FED EX. The Mexican mail system is notoriously bad, granted. But private courier companies should be fine. As long as the film doesn't go through X-RAY, things should be peachy.

I personally don't like the idea of sending film across international borders without supervision. Hell, even carrying my own film makes it sketchy sometimes trying to bypass X-RAY machines. But I am sure things would be OK, should the right conditions arise. Then again, I probably wouldn't chance it. Peace of mind being priceless.

Quote: "When I was in film school a long time ago we had a guest speaker from the film Romancing the Stone come and speak at our college. They claimed that no matter how hard they tried to get the Mexican lab to maintain clean processing, after just a couple of days the quality of the processing work would start to diminish. So that was then, who knows about now?"

Well, I have had that problem with US labs as well. And I know of a US production that lost 1/3 of their camera original to DuArt's incredible incompetence in processing. So, things can go wrong anywhere. But one may have an easier time going after a lab in the US. I lived in Mexico for 20 years, lawsuits are a lot harder to bring to good end down there. Should one find a good Mexican lab (they certainly exist) and do some test runs, then things may be OK. Like I said I probably wouldn't chance it, too many things could go wrong going across the borders back and forth. If you lived in Mexico and spoke Spanish, well, things would be different.

Edited by saulie rodgar, 03 January 2008 - 02:29 PM.

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Visual Products

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera