#1 jason stewart

jason stewart

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:44 PM

I am a camera operator with over a year under my belt, I have been lucky enough to have the XL2 since I started, I just ordered the M2 35mm lens adapter to improve my footage.

I have been looking around at NIKON lenses and there are so many, what are some must haves to have a strong kit?

If anyone could help me with this I would very much appreciate it. And also a good site (other than Ebay) to buy lenses from.

thank you
8ZERO Media

#2 david west

david west
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

i would look at lenses (schneider, Angenieux, Zeiss, Cooke) that are in an arri standard or pl mount so that you could eventually use the lenses on a film camera as well.

#3 Ollie Bartlett

Ollie Bartlett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Other
  • Bristol, UK

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hi,

Good choice... i have the same setup. you can get some really nice images out of the XL with the M2 ( a lot of light needed though).

Try and get a broad choice of primes, something like a 24/28, a 35, a 50, an 85 and something like a 105 or 135. These will cover you for almost every eventuality of low budget film making. I like to keep a mid-range zoom handy as well, as it'll get you out of some tight spots if theres no time for track.

You might want to check out www.lenses35.com. these guys will sell you an entire set of decent nikon primes, eliminating the need to spend ages sourcing lenses. Prices are reasonable but not great.

Other than that you might want to check out bh photo's used section at www.bhphoto.com. you can filter it to just pick out nikons, theres a decent selection always on there and nice prices.

A word of warning though... always pick something thats at least f2.8 or faster. As i said, you need a lot of light.

Hope that helps,

Ollie

Edited by Ollie Bartlett, 27 December 2007 - 06:48 PM.

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS