#1 Patrick McGowan

Patrick McGowan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • P.A.
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:52 AM

I just saw this at the Landmark in Cambridge.

I really enjoyed the film overall, I felt I had seen the premise of worn out people with flaws trying to deal with their lives, but I was surprised by how well it was executed. The characters in this film have very serious flaws and are beautifully portrayed by Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney.

Mott Hupfel's cinematography was subtle and natural. I like the Arizona sequences which were slightly overexposed with what looked like some type of diffusion.

There is a scene in the nursing home where there father is staying that looks as if all of the lighting is motivated by this green practical behind his head. Linney's character even complains that this light depresses her and she shuts it off. I thought this was a great example of lighting really creating a mood for the characters. The nursing home always felt like a dark depressing place to be which helped to explain the guilt the characters felt for leaving their father there.

There are quite a few scenes that are lit by incandescent fixtures. These lights looked more yellowish orange, and I think more natural than what I usually see on screen which are perfectly matched color temp photofloods.

The handheld operating was very skilled and controlled and reminded me of another film with Laura Linney, "The Squid and The Whale."

Edited by Patrick McGowan, 28 December 2007 - 12:55 AM.

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio