#1 Marc Roessler

Marc Roessler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:57 AM

Hi,

in the manual of the 16S I read that the first accumulators used with it were Lead-Accumulators.
As far as i know, later came NiCd accumulators. What would you use today? NiMH seems to
be the right choice to me. They have more energy per weight/size, but are a bit limited at lower
temperatures. Does the 16S depend on the special characteristics (internal resistance, the way
the voltages drops when the accu is near done, ...) of NiCD?
What about Li-Ion accumulators? Less sturdy (and even more temperature dependant..), but
more energy per weight/volume, not as high-current capable.. and 3.7 Volts per cell, meaning
8 Volts are difficult to reach... What about three 3.7 V Li-Ions and using a high-efficience
DC-DC converter?

Any experiences?

What are the voltage tolerances for an Arri 16S, when using a
- rheostat motor?
- self-controlling motor?

Greetings,
Marc

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

Marc,

If you are using the ARRI constant speed motor with the Arriflex 16S, then you need to limit the voltage you put through it to 8 volts, or you will eventually fry the motor. I have run the constant speed motor on Radio Shack RC car batteries which put out 7.2 volts and it works fine. Wire a couple of them up in parallel and they will run the camera for a good long time.

If you are using the ARRI variable speed motor with the Arriflex 16S, then you can get by with using a 12 volt battery pack like the ones sold by Bescor.

If you are using any of the Tobin crystal motors for the Arriflex 16S, or the Tobin variable speed motor for the Arriflex 16S, they are designed to run on 12 volts, so the Bescor battery packs work well with them also.

-Tim

#3 Marc Roessler

Marc Roessler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:50 AM

Tim, will the variable speed motor also work with 7,2 Volts?
Can the accu be drained until it is near empty or can only parts of its capacity be used, because
the camera will "brown out" much earlier due to the already low initial voltage?

Tim, any suggestions as to the prices and availabilty (rent or sale) of Crystal Sync motors in
Germany/Europe and in general?

Greetings,
Marc

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:03 PM

Tim, will the variable speed motor also work with 7,2 Volts?
Can the accu be drained until it is near empty or can only parts of its capacity be used, because
the camera will "brown out" much earlier due to the already low initial voltage?

Tim, any suggestions as to the prices and availabilty (rent or sale) of Crystal Sync motors in
Germany/Europe and in general?

Greetings,
Marc

The 7.2 volt batteries, when fully charged put out 7.5 volts. I would think that you may have issues with the constant speed motor when the batteries drain down lower than 7.0 volts, but I have never run them down that far, as you can run probably a dozen 100 ft spools of film through an Arriflex 16S on the Radio Shack battery packs if you have two run in parallel.

The Radio Shack batteries run the variable speed motor as well. It is hard to say how the low voltage effects that motor as the speed from the variable speed motor is "wild", which means it is all over the map even with freshly charged batteries. I would guess that when the voltage drops below 7.0 you could have issues with the variable speed motor as well.

Sorry, I have no idea of what is available as far as crystal speed motors in Europe/Germany. Don't know that market. You can probably find Tobin motors over there as well, and I'm sure if Clive makes a new batch, he would sell you one.

Happy New Year,
-Tim

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

CineTape

The Slider

Glidecam

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets