Manfred Lopez

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Producer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 29 December 2007 - 05:17 PM

Okay, I am about to purchase some gel rolls. Here is my question, is there any downside in doubling up gels in order to get the desired effect? More specifically, can I use CTO and ND .6 together on windows or is it better to just get a combination gel like Rosco E-Colour #208 Filter (CTO+.6 ND):

http://www.bhphotovi..._Filter_CT.html

Another way... Can I get away with just purchasing ND.3 and ND.6 and just double these up together whenever I need ND.9?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:25 PM

Yes and no. Depends on how close the camera gets to the windows in terms of seeing how neatly you managed to put two layers of gel on the window, which is hard to do. But if it's just in the background, doubling up gel is not so much of a problem if done neatly. Tripling up is asking for trouble.

I hardly ever find a use for ND.3 gel. If I only need to kill a stop out of a window, I generally just stretch a double-net scrim on a frame and put it outside. Gelling windows is a pain in the ass and expensive so I only do it if absolutely necessary, or if it's a small amount of window area.

#3 Manfred Lopez

Manfred Lopez

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Producer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:29 AM

Yes and no. Depends on how close the camera gets to the windows in terms of seeing how neatly you managed to put two layers of gel on the window, which is hard to do. But if it's just in the background, doubling up gel is not so much of a problem if done neatly. Tripling up is asking for trouble.

I hardly ever find a use for ND.3 gel. If I only need to kill a stop out of a window, I generally just stretch a double-net scrim on a frame and put it outside. Gelling windows is a pain in the ass and expensive so I only do it if absolutely necessary, or if it's a small amount of window area.

This is good to know. It looks like then it would be better to switch to daylight temperature lighting inside as well. So this is probably the reason HMI's are so popular.

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:59 AM

This is good to know. It looks like then it would be better to switch to daylight temperature lighting inside as well. So this is probably the reason HMI's are so popular.

You can get 85ND gels. ;)

The Slider

Opal

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC