Scratched lens.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Buddy Greenfield

Buddy Greenfield
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:30 AM

I know it?s likely an impossible question to answer, but just how scratched does a lens have to be before it?s completely useless?

Will a few minor scratches not really affect it, or should I just start crying now?

Is there some other use for a scratched lens, like can you have it ground into some kind of special effect lens or something?

Thankfully it?s only a relatively inexpensive 25mm Som Berthiot RX, but on the other hand I?ve been dreaming in shades Ramen noodle just to make my forthcoming project a reality.

Anyone have any decent Ramen recipes?
Thanks

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:13 AM

That is tough to answer. It's doubly difficult since it's something you would notice more at certain stops (probably stopped down) and it will increase the lens' tendency to flare. The real answer is probably that scratches will steadily decrease the performance of a lens and it's up to you when that performance is unsatisfactory.

I have seen photos taken with terrible lenses that looked fine. I even shot with a lens with a cracked element once and saw no adverse effects as long as I kept the lens well flagged or hooded from flare.

#3 Buddy Greenfield

Buddy Greenfield
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:07 AM

Chris,

I admit, I didn't even consider how the amount of light would play a (now obvious) role.
It should make for decent test fodder.

I appreciate the wisdom in your real answer as I can kind of distill from it the notion that all things considered, the scratches might not be as bad as I think relative to the overall "Quality" of my entire outfit and the level at which I will be realistically using it.

Thank You

Edited by Buddy Greenfield, 01 January 2008 - 04:08 AM.

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

Anyone have any decent Ramen recipes?
Thanks

No, but here's a tip from my starving student days: Mackerel in cans is the cheapest high quality protein available. Look up a salmon patty recipe and use mackerel - it's not half bad. By itself mackerel can be quite skanky.

#5 Buddy Greenfield

Buddy Greenfield
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

When it comes to theads that mention skanky mackerel, this one is by far my favorite. :)

#6 Jess Haas

Jess Haas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Monica, Ca

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

As a lens gets scratches on it it will become softer and flare easier. One trick for fixing things such as chips that create annoying flares is to fill them in with a sharpie. I wouldn't expect that lens to be super sharp to begin with, so it is all about what you determine to be suitable results. I have shot things that turned out great using a set of lenses that were full of fungus. The image was somewhat soft but it worked great for the project.

~Jess

#7 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

An open can of skanky mackerel on set or location can mask the stink of bad acting.

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC