Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:42 AM

http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=hJuMWCYOyyA

Happy New Year everyone!

Here's my new demo reel for '08, hopefully in nearly completed form. I'm looking for feedback so I know what to fix when I output my final version (on my own site and not on YouTube :)).

Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

Good job. I like that you have made your reel into a collection of short scenes, and/or trailers of larger projects that cut together instead of just a collection of beauty shots. I am a fan of dark, dimly lit moody images and this reel delivers them in abundance. However, you may want to give it more in terms of diversity. No one wants to be considered a one trick pony, to coin a phrase, especially starting out. But that's up to you, of course.

My favorite shot is the one with the guy staring at the fish bowl. There are some shots that are so dimly lit I would have been nervous about them just going to black. So you show some very good understanding of your film stock capabilities . . .

Keep it up!

S

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:19 PM

Good stuff Satsuki. That elevator scene turned out quite well, I remember you posting some stills a while back.

I can't be sure, but is that camera's shadow on the post in the second shot of the reel? That first scene is nice, but you could probably do without the shot of the girl's bad "Zales commercial" acting, ha ha

Still, a very nice reel. And I see you were in Aliano's class at the same time Robin was taking it, no?

#4 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:36 AM

Hey thanks, guys.

Saulie: I wish I had a greater variety of stuff to show! I haven't really DP'd that many projects yet, so I will start adding more commercial looking stuff soon hopefully. The thing is, the most dramatic looking shots to my eyes are also the most low-key, so it's tough to throw that stuff out! Most of the footage is DVX/HVX stuff, the first film added a Brevis and Nikkors so it was somewhat easier to go darker. Only the last few shots are on film, Super8 and 16mm.

Jon: Ha, nice catch! I'll cut around that. Yeah, Robin and I were in the same group for the whole class so I learned a hell of a lot from her about lighting. How do you know her?

Thanks again guys, keep the feedback coming.

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:01 AM

...Yeah, Robin and I were in the same group for the whole class so I learned a hell of a lot from her about lighting. How do you know her?

I mostly know her from MySpace, sadly, ha ha. It's pretty cool to find and network with fellow cinematographers through it, and she was obviously the best looking one in town. She does a lot of great still photography, but hasn't updated her cinematography reel in sometime...guess she's busy these days doing quite a bit of modeling work.

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Opal

The Slider

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Ritter Battery