#1 Paul James Savarese

Paul James Savarese
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:32 PM

I shot a short with the Beaulieue 4008 and the footage (highly compressed can be seen here).

#2 jason duncan

jason duncan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Other
  • Michigan

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:37 PM

Great short...luv it! Two questions for ya:

1) How come negative Super 8 looks better on some sort on Mp4 formatt? Really the only other max 8 negative film I've seen on dvd is some of the shorts in "Super-8 Cities", and I'm not sure if Rick Palidwor's "Sleep Always" is negative stock, but I have that too.

2) your scope looks like 2.35:1. I thought super 8 could only but cut out to 1.85:1?

#3 Joe Uman

Joe Uman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Other
  • HIBERNIA

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:42 PM

1) How come negative Super 8 looks better on some sort on Mp4 formatt? Really the only other max 8 negative film I've seen on dvd is some of the shorts in "Super-8 Cities", and I'm not sure if Rick Palidwor's "Sleep Always" is negative stock, but I have that too.

2) your scope looks like 2.35:1. I thought super 8 could only but cut out to 1.85:1?

Sleep Always was shot on the old discontinued Kodak Ektachrome stock.

I'm sure the image was cropped in post or else shot on an anamorphic lens, but doesn't look like it.

#4 Paul James Savarese

Paul James Savarese
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the compliment. Two full rolls were ruined at the lab thus resulting in half of a story. The first half...just gone.

1.)The negative stocks are primarily sharper than any reversal films. I am not sure what codec youtube compresses videos with but it generally sux in my opinion. Bottom line is to light like the big boys do and it will look good - to me this means natural for this particular story.

2.) The aspect ratio, orignally, is arguably 16:9 (Max 8). I matted it in a 2.35:1 for to crop a lot of negative space and create a bit more of an interesting composition within the frame. Just a matter of personal preference really.

#5 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the compliment. Two full rolls were ruined at the lab thus resulting in half of a story. The first half...just gone.

1.)The negative stocks are primarily sharper than any reversal films. I am not sure what codec youtube compresses videos with but it generally sux in my opinion. Bottom line is to light like the big boys do and it will look good - to me this means natural for this particular story.

2.) The aspect ratio, orignally, is arguably 16:9 (Max 8). I matted it in a 2.35:1 for to crop a lot of negative space and create a bit more of an interesting composition within the frame. Just a matter of personal preference really.

Sorry to hear about the lab screwing things up. Are they compensating you in anyway? I will be producing a music video on Super 8 later this year and intend to insure the negative. How are you dealing with it?

chris

#6 Joe Uman

Joe Uman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Other
  • HIBERNIA

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

Was it pro8mm?

#7 Paul James Savarese

Paul James Savarese
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:13 PM

Was it pro8mm?

Ding ding ding!

#8 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:19 PM

Sleep Always was shot on the old discontinued Kodak Ektachrome stock.

Yes. 7240 to be precise, as there are several discontinued Ektachrome stocks.
We liked that stock a lot but for some reason not many people did.

Rick

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Opal

Willys Widgets

Technodolly