Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

Hi.

I was wondering the difference between 5247. I know '48 came straight after '47, and that EXR means 'Eastmancolour EXtended Range', so I was just wondering how significant the difference between the two stocks was. Is 5248 just 5247 with a T-Grain, or is there something more significant to the difference?

Kind Wishes.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:53 PM

Hi.

I was wondering the difference between 5247. I know '48 came straight after '47, and that EXR means 'Eastmancolour EXtended Range', so I was just wondering how significant the difference between the two stocks was. Is 5248 just 5247 with a T-Grain, or is there something more significant to the difference?

Kind Wishes.

Yes, '48 used modern T-grains so was sharper and finer-grained than '47. It was also a little bit more saturated than '47.

#3 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:36 PM

I recall John Pytlak saying that V2 stocks grain structure is more advanced than T-grain technology. None the less, 100D reversal uses T-grain, 64T does not and appears twice as grainy. I like the finer grain in newer stocks for the smaller formats, but would like to see some kind of specialty stock in a reversal come out, like a 160T that is sharper and finer grain than 100D. There needs to be at least one stock that is dedicated to film aesthetics AND performance... A new E160T reversal would be a potent and versitile film.

#4 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:06 PM

A new E160T reversal would be a potent and versitile film.

and would put a bunch of "XL" super 8 cameras back in the game.

#5 Paul M. Sommers

Paul M. Sommers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:20 PM

I miss the 400T reversal film. I've been begging Kodak bring it back since they discontinued it. The 85 is one of the only stocks that really has it's own "point of view". 100ASA daylight makes it hard to work some interiors and really difficult to do night work.

Paul Sommers

#6 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:46 AM

I miss the 400T reversal film. I've been begging Kodak bring it back since they discontinued it. The 85 is one of the only stocks that really has it's own "point of view". 100ASA daylight makes it hard to work some interiors and really difficult to do night work.

Paul Sommers

As much as I like 100D, I agree it can be hard to work with for interiors and night. It' also soft. But it's the only modern reversal to really enter MP. I don't think it would be that big a deal for Kodak to upgrade a reversal film with up to date technology. Like a fine grain tungston balance stock, with all the saturation and contrast of current E6. A 160T/100D would be kean. I'm not just suggesting something good for just S8 (because it would be great) But I would think the larger formats could use at least one unique stock (for cross processing or what not) that maintain more of a film aesthetic or off beat results... as opposed to grading the shampoo out of the typical high performance neg, or staying with a natural look. I would be happy to see something with the look of 100D... but as a 160 tungston, with an updated grain structure, and better sharpness. Why not? Last time I checked, Kodak was still a film company.

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam