#1 Eric H

Eric H
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:37 AM

I was once shooting in a european location, a house, and built in around the top edges of the room were flouros that were quite interesting....they appeared to be normal but had the ability to be dimmed. I had never actually seen this before but heard about. the fixtures looked like normal tubes but had a thin wire element running along the outside. they dimmed up and down from a standard wall switch. I didn't have time to inquire more at the time, but was curious if anyone can fill me in how they work and why I don't see them much. as far as color temp...they ran warm with no noticeable or major color shift during dimming. I didn't run my color temp meter to get specifics (which I regret).

thanks all,

Eric

#2 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:51 AM

Hi Eric,

most modern hi-tech electronic ballasts are also available dimmable. E.g. there are Osram ballasts for 120cm/4ft tubes that dimm down to around 2% IIRC. When dimming they increase their frequency from 40 to 100kHz. You shouldn't get much of a color temp or CC shift with those. I am thinking of using them in my own type of fourbank. I can dig out the exact type if you want. These can be dimmed by a normal household switch in the way you described. They cost around 60-70 euro each.

Cheers, Dave

#3 Eric H

Eric H
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:47 PM

Dave,
thanks for the reply...yes, i would be interested in what you cook up.
Eric

Hi Eric,

most modern hi-tech electronic ballasts are also available dimmable. E.g. there are Osram ballasts for 120cm/4ft tubes that dimm down to around 2% IIRC. When dimming they increase their frequency from 40 to 100kHz. You shouldn't get much of a color temp or CC shift with those. I am thinking of using them in my own type of fourbank. I can dig out the exact type if you want. These can be dimmed by a normal household switch in the way you described. They cost around 60-70 euro each.

Cheers, Dave

#4 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:54 PM

We have some dimmable flourescents in the office where I work. They don't work all that well. I haven't measured with a meter, but I doubt that the usable range is more than a couple stops. Instead of dimming down low, they go just so far and then drop out entirely.

-- J.S.

#5 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:26 PM

We have some dimmable flourescents in the office where I work. They don't work all that well. I haven't measured with a meter, but I doubt that the usable range is more than a couple stops. Instead of dimming down low, they go just so far and then drop out entirely.

-- J.S.

Oh, I'm so looking forward to when California outlaws household tungsten bulbs altogether... <_<

#6 Matthew Parnell

Matthew Parnell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Electrician
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:40 AM

http://members.misty.../don/f-dim.html

#7 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:54 PM

Oh, I'm so looking forward to when California outlaws household tungsten bulbs altogether... <_<

Not to worry, we'll still be able to get them, probably from the same folks who sell pot. ;-) Or, you could go to AutoZone and get some 12 volt stuff and a battery.... ;-)

-- J.S.

#8 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

Not to worry, we'll still be able to get them, probably from the same folks who sell pot. ;-)

Actually, they're leading the fluorescent charge! I was looking up sources for colored CFL's the other day and kept running across marijuana growers message boards discussing CFL's...

http://www.rollitup....trums-vegg.html

#9 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

Well, there'll have to be some kind of black market -- Sleazy guys in back alleys wearing trench coats lined with light bulbs.... When the cops pat 'em down, it'll give a whole new meaning to the term "bust". ;-) The hell of it is, a lot of them will probably be film crew guys put out of work by the strike. ;-)

-- J.S.

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

CineLab

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post