Daniel Urrutia

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Barcelona

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:38 AM

Hi, Im making a futuristic looking short film. In 35mm with the Arri III or the 435.
There will a few (to many) projections inside the set that have to be filmed with the actors on stage.

So I was wondering what problems I might look forward to with a projector such as this http://www.projectis...spx?ProdId=5624

If I use two or more projections in one shot will there be an issue with the projectors going off phase and allso how do I get the black to look good.

Im allso uploading an image of one of the shots in which there are 3 projectors under a table so you can get an idea of what im in for.You can allso se more of the project here Reaction

Thnk You!

Attached Images

• Snapshot.jpg

#2 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hello Daniel,

I did a similar project back in college, 20 years ago. I set up the band on stage. I had draped the stage in white bedsheets. We dressed the band members in white clothes. We projected various images from 16mm projectors onto the stage and band members. I shot hand held with a B&H Filmo at random speeds. Since I didn't have interlock capabilities, I just let the flicker fall where it may. The flicker actually turned out very cool. Whether we ever caused a seizure in a viewer remains unknown, however. Since the speeds were random on purpose, cutting was not precise. That had an additional cool effect. The great thing about music videos is that the more technically crummy your methods, the more people will mistake it for artful purpose if you just demonstrate confidence in your work.

As far as the DLP flicker issue, I'm looking forward to someone providing an answer. Those mirrors flicker at very high rates. It's not just a matter of matching the projectors to each other, there's sync to the Arri. Can you get your info from the manufacturer of the projector?

#3 Daniel Urrutia

Daniel Urrutia

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Barcelona

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:29 AM

Thank you for your advice, this is the projector we have in mind http://global.mitsub...ile/hl650u.html .
Hope to get some moere answers.

#4 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:55 PM

Thank you for your advice, this is the projector we have in mind http://global.mitsub...ile/hl650u.html .
Hope to get some moere answers.

Whatever projector you use, it helps to make the projected image slightly out of focus to avoid moire patterns on the screen that the camera might pick up and therefore distract the viewers. In fact, since you are shooting film, I would go a little more out of focus, but that is because I have done it before and realized later I didn't go out of focus enough to get rid of the "video projected" image look . . .

Just my opinion, of course. And it certainly helps if you can do a test to make sure how much to soft focus the image.

Edited by saulie rodgar, 14 January 2008 - 12:56 PM.

#5 Daniel Urrutia

Daniel Urrutia

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Barcelona

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

Great!! :rolleyes: Thank you very much Saulie.
I will test this for sure at the camera rental.
Any other experience is most welcome.

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab