• Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • South Africa

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

Hi there guys,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Please can you send me the address and contact details of any place in Fort Lee, New Jersey, where my sister can go and get some DVDs converted from PAL to NTSC.

As you may remember, I live in Johannesburg, South Africa, and I gave her South African movies on DVD for Christmas.

If you can, please can you also let me know (in dollars) how much it woould cost).

Otherwise, if there is somewhere near the Deutsche Bank offices in New York City that can do this for me, please let me know, because that is where she works.

Regards,

Andrea

#2 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3059 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:55 PM

Aside from the legal issues involved in duplicating Commercial DVDs, it would probably be cheaper for her to buy a dual standard & multi regional DVD player.

#3 MJ Hasty

MJ Hasty

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other
  • Philadelphia

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:13 AM

Is your sister a university student or does she know anyone who is? A university media program might be able to do this. If your sister (or a student friend) were to visit a media studies professor (in person) during her/his office hours, she/he might be able to help you. Particularly if you find someone interested in international film. An email from a stranger might not motivate any action.

Good luck!
MJ

#4 Gabriela Castanon

Gabriela Castanon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • South Africa

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:36 AM

Hi there guys,

Unfortunately she is not a student. I think "duplicate" is the wrong word. What I mean is that she needs these DVD's to be CONVERTED to NTSC. Thanks for the ideas. Where can she get a multi-regional DVD player?

Regards,

Andrea

#5 James Baker

James Baker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:11 PM

Hi there guys,

Unfortunately she is not a student. I think "duplicate" is the wrong word. What I mean is that she needs these DVD's to be CONVERTED to NTSC. Thanks for the ideas. Where can she get a multi-regional DVD player?

Regards,

Andrea

A region free DVD player would be the best idea, really. Plus she would have the benefit of watching more choices of DVD releases (some are far better transfers.) I bought mine a long time ago through this site: http://www.dvdbeaver...LM/hardware.htm

Don't be alarmed by their rather "noisy" and confusing website. They are a fantastic source for DVD information and releases, reviews, etc. A true cinéaste's delight.

Many places sell region free players. She should have no problem finding one in the NY/NJ area.

#6 James Baker

James Baker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:22 PM

PS, make sure, of course, that the player also converts PAL to NTSC. Many do (I think all or most?) Mine plays PAL DVDs on NTSC TVs with no problem.

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

CineLab

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider