Rafael Rivera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Director
  • San Jose, CA

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:00 PM

Hi all,

I'd like to hear your general tips for using a Beaulieu 4008 ZMII such as camera handling, labs, telecine facilities, lighting. I plan to use Vision2 200T. Camera has been serviced recently. I'm located in Northern California.

Cheers,

Rafael Rivera
donfito.com

#2 Jean Beaudoin

Jean Beaudoin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • MontrĂ©al

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:04 PM

From my little experience with a 4008 ZM II, first you must remember to set the film speed corectly:
for instance if you shoot 200T indoors, set the ring to 200 ASA and PUT THE FILTER REMOVAL
KEY INTO PLACE (just above the grip on the right hand side below the cartrige door).
Now if you use the same stock outdoors well you need to put a 85B filter on your lens
to convert this Tungsten balanced film to sunlight (5400 K) and set the ASA ring speed to 160 ASA
OR cut a notch on the cartrige to enable the BUILT IN filter to set into place wtih the ASA ring at 160 ASA.
Then of course charge your power pack or recharge the battery, make some framing tests, camera speed tests (2,4,8,12,18,24,36, 72 fps)
shutter open, half-closed, closed, fade in/out. Process, transfert and screen. Then ajust accordingly framing if viewfinder
is off compared to desired framing. Good luck with the best super 8 body ever designed.
What lens are you using ? 1.8 6-66 or 1.9 8-64 or prime lens ?
Good luck ! :rolleyes:

#3 Rafael Rivera

Rafael Rivera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Director
  • San Jose, CA

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

From my little experience with a 4008 ZM II, first you must remember to set the film speed corectly:
for instance if you shoot 200T indoors, set the ring to 200 ASA and PUT THE FILTER REMOVAL
KEY INTO PLACE (just above the grip on the right hand side below the cartrige door).
Now if you use the same stock outdoors well you need to put a 85B filter on your lens
to convert this Tungsten balanced film to sunlight (5400 K) and set the ASA ring speed to 160 ASA
OR cut a notch on the cartrige to enable the BUILT IN filter to set into place wtih the ASA ring at 160 ASA.
Then of course charge your power pack or recharge the battery, make some framing tests, camera speed tests (2,4,8,12,18,24,36, 72 fps)
shutter open, half-closed, closed, fade in/out. Process, transfert and screen. Then ajust accordingly framing if viewfinder
is off compared to desired framing. Good luck with the best super 8 body ever designed.
What lens are you using ? 1.8 6-66 or 1.9 8-64 or prime lens ?
Good luck ! :rolleyes:

The camera came with the Schneider 6-66 lens. By the way, what's the filter thread size for this lens? I'd like to buy a few things for the front of it.

#4 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:24 PM

Hi, filter size is 62mm on the 6-66... Are you planning to use auto exposure??, my dealings even with serviced 4008s is the auto is rubbish, always tended to under expose.

#5 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:25 PM

Hi, filter size is 62mm on the 6-66... Are you planning to use auto exposure??, my dealings even with serviced 4008s is the auto is rubbish, always tended to under expose. Good Luck

#6 Rafael Rivera

Rafael Rivera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Director
  • San Jose, CA

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:42 PM

Hi, filter size is 62mm on the 6-66... Are you planning to use auto exposure??, my dealings even with serviced 4008s is the auto is rubbish, always tended to under expose. Good Luck

Thanks Andy for the info, it sure is very handy. I want to get a clear filter to protect my lens which is in very good shape (the box even has a tiny paper label with the lens serial number on it).

I'll only use the camera in manual. I'll be shooting a test 200T within the next couple weeks.

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

The Slider