No replies to this topic

#1 Nick Castronuova

Nick Castronuova
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

So I'm new to the field of audio, though I've been more involved in cinematography these past few years at film school. Next semester I will be shooting a short, digital film and was wondering what the best way was to go about recording sound for it.

I assume I'll be getting a mixer, boom/mic, possibly lav mics etc. Should I record directly into the camera or use a DAT system? I would guess DAT, but a recent professor said it could be a bad idea.

What about post-production editing? Should I just keep reading books, etc. or should I go and find a free sound mixer? How would I go about that? I'll be editing in Final Cut Pro, so should I picture edit first? Do I do this with or without the sound? Should I just rough cut the dialogue together and have it mixed, add foley and slug later by a sound mixer or in a sound mixing program?

Also, what about dubbing lines and removing wind noise/ambient noise from dialogue?

Again, I'm pretty new to sound recording and want to gain experience on my next project.

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

CineLab

Tai Audio

Opal

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post