Photo

What is the "rare" 10-100 Zeiss lens selling with Arri 16 BL?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:05 AM

I was looking at an Arri 16BL for sale. I've used them always with the Angenieux
12-120 but this was advertised as having the "rare" Zeiss 10-100 lens. I haven't come
across that. Is it faster, sharper?

Thanks.

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:28 AM

I was looking at an Arri 16BL for sale. I've used them always with the Angenieux
12-120 but this was advertised as having the "rare" Zeiss 10-100 lens. I haven't come
across that. Is it faster, sharper?

Thanks.

I know of one 10-100 and it's far from rare. :lol: It's a pretty nice lens. T2 or 2.2 I believe and quite sharp. It would cut well with super speeds, though not quite as snappy. Not great wide open but acceptable for a lot of things and improves by T2.8 or certainly T4.

#3 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:23 AM

I know of one 10-100 and it's far from rare. :lol: It's a pretty nice lens. T2 or 2.2 I believe and quite sharp. It would cut well with super speeds, though not quite as snappy. Not great wide open but acceptable for a lot of things and improves by T2.8 or certainly T4.

I think if it's sold with the BL, it's more likely to be the earlier generation 10-100 T3. And I wouldn't say that it's rare either...!

jb

#4 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

I shot with a 16 BL and 10-100 rented from Jack Pill back in the mid 1970's. The Angenieux 12-120 had a larger market share, but the Zeiss wasn't exactly rare. It was a little more expensive, IIRC. Both had to be permanently housed in an Arri BL custom lens blimp, which wasn't particularly convenient. One in the blimp without the camera might be fairly rare.

-- J.S.

#5 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

I shot with a 16 BL and 10-100 rented from Jack Pill back in the mid 1970's. The Angenieux 12-120 had a larger market share, but the Zeiss wasn't exactly rare. It was a little more expensive, IIRC. Both had to be permanently housed in an Arri BL custom lens blimp, which wasn't particularly convenient. One in the blimp without the camera might be fairly rare.

-- J.S.

It seems that the consensus here is there were a fair number around. Probably because the 12-120 is
more common and the camera was for sale, the word "rare" seemed like a good description to the seller.

Thanks!

I remember taking a 12-120 out of one of those blimps. Ship in a bottle!

#6 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:36 AM

It seems that the consensus here is there were a fair number around. Probably because the 12-120 is
more common and the camera was for sale, the word "rare" seemed like a good description to the seller.

Thanks!

I remember taking a 12-120 out of one of those blimps. Ship in a bottle!

You could also get the 9.5-95 Angenieux; that was rather large inside the blimp. The 10-100 was much more compact, losing only 1/3 stop a bit on the wide end and not focusing quite as close as the 9.5 to 95. The T3 Zeiss was a much sharper lenses, I had one which I used on my CP16R and Aaton for a few years. Again quality improved when closed a stop, but still usable wide open on many productions. The triangular flare made it easy to spot on screen.

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

The Slider

Metropolis Post