#1 Blith Clockwalk

Blith Clockwalk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Iceland. London

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

I just bought the new Indifocus follow focus unit and I tried it and it feels a bit wobbly and not smooth at all. Is that normal? I have only used follow focus for 16mm and 35mm cameras.
I hope I don't have to send it back to the US. I'm in London. I was going to use it for my up coming film. Any help greatly appreciated. Maybe I´m doing something wrong. Fingers crossed.
Cheers,
Ívan

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:55 PM

I used one once before and wasn't impressed. The model I used was exactly like you described. The indifocus was the 1987 datsun to arri's brand new mercedes.;)

#3 Michael Maier

Michael Maier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:11 PM

The indifocus is what it is, an el chepo piece of ...uh, sub standard gear. I would never consider using one for a serious shot. I would never consider using one at all to be honest. Get the Redrock one which I hear is pretty solid, probably the best of all cheap ones. That's as low as you can go andstill expect any quality.
I hope for you indiefocus has a good return policy.

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

On the subject of inexpensive (cheap) follow focus rigs. Has anyone bought one of the ones on eBay from India?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

#5 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

...Is it weird that I don't understand what's wrong with just RENTING a follow focus? I feel like if I bought one, I'd hardly use it...I think I've only had maybe TWO jobs since I started ACing, where there was no follow focus.

That being said, I also don't understand people who don't USE the follow focus. I was talking to a cinematography professor recently who advises his students against it and I had to bite my tongue because to me, pulling off the lens is awkward and if anything, less accurate than being able to use a fine-tip dry-erase on the marking disk or whatever.

:shrug: Just saying...

#6 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:02 PM

Not to mention that the plane of rotation on the barrel is much more prone to affecting the operator than the plane of rotation of a follow focus. Nobody wants to be the one to screw up the operation on an otherwise good take.

#7 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

Yeah. I worked this crappy Aaton job where I had to pull off the lens and it was mostly handheld...so it was ridiculous. Thank god for skinny arms. I feel like the follow focus has the potential to be MORE accurate as long as you aren't making these big fat marks on the disk.

#8 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:50 AM

Yeah. I worked this crappy Aaton job where I had to pull off the lens and it was mostly handheld...so it was ridiculous. Thank god for skinny arms. I feel like the follow focus has the potential to be MORE accurate as long as you aren't making these big fat marks on the disk.

Absolutely, and as long as it's a good one with no play or lashback. You can often see the FF a lot better than you can see the barrel of the lens.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Opal

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC