25 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:55 PM

I remember a conversation a while back about trying to find a reasonably priced speed crank. I see now on indifocus' site (www.indiocus.com) that they list a speed crank ($20), a 12-inch whip ($35) and an 18-inch whip ($40). All are quite inexpensive, compared to much of the competition.

I can't vouch for their quality, but I thought I'd put it out there. I may try a long whip. I have a 12-inch one but it would be nice to have both lengths handy.

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

Correcting my link. It's indifocus.com

#3 Rory Hanrahan

Rory Hanrahan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • NYC

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the link.

Although not quite as cheap as "forgetting" to return the whip? (I kid, I kid?)

Anybody here have any experience with this company's products?

#4 Rory Hanrahan

Rory Hanrahan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • NYC

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

By the way, and I don't know if this was what led you to post the link Chris, but there was a topic started on the SD forum with some negative things to say regarding build quality of their FF?

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

By the way, and I don't know if this was what led you to post the link Chris, but there was a topic started on the SD forum with some negative things to say regarding build quality of their FF?

That is what led me to look, actually. I used one of their follow focus units once and really disliked it. Rickety, poor construction, sharp edges, and there was too much play in the thing. I figure that a whip or speed crank is a while different animal construction-wise than a fine follow focus and it might be worth a gamble.

#6 Rory Hanrahan

Rory Hanrahan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • NYC

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

Yeah, the FF looked kinda shoddy from their website -- then again I'm never even happy with Chroziel FF's (there's always play between the grip and the housing due to slightly different key sizes), so I guess I'm a picky customer?

I guess we'll find out the answer to the question "how can you f* up a speed crank/whip" then, huh?

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

I guess we'll find out the answer to the question "how can you f* up a speed crank/whip" then, huh?

Probably. I can't think of how you could screw those up but then again, a follow focus isn't complicated either. It just needs good machining and tight tolerances but there are still all kinds of shitty ones out there.

#8 Andrew Brinkhaus

Andrew Brinkhaus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

I also had commented about trying to find affordable speed cranks in another thread, where the only place we could find them was Filmtools, for $80.

I should've thought to look at indifocus, it's a great affordable company. I will probably grab an 18" whip here in a day or so. Thanks again for the link Chris.

#9 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:02 PM

I also had commented about trying to find affordable speed cranks in another thread, where the only place we could find them was Filmtools, for $80.

I should've thought to look at indifocus, it's a great affordable company. I will probably grab an 18" whip here in a day or so. Thanks again for the link Chris.

Any time. Once you've had a chance to put it through its paces a bit, let us know how it is.

#10 Andrew Brinkhaus

Andrew Brinkhaus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:57 PM

I definitely will.

Edited by Andrew Brinkhaus, 11 January 2008 - 10:57 PM.

#11 Michael Maier

Michael Maier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:37 AM

Guys, I've known about the indiefocus for a while already. I was also participating in the "affordable focus lever" thread and the reason I didn't post about indiefocus is that their accessories don't have a standard port and won't fit Arri type gear. They have a proprietary port (why beats me) which is a pentagon or hexagon (not sure right now) with a magnetic on the end and will only fit the indiefocus FF. At least that's how it used to be, unless they have just changed it, although I doubt it. On the top of that, I know their whip is horrible. It has a lot of play and you need to load it up before it actually starts spinning the FF knob.
The indofocus was the first of the el chepos FF units that have now flooded the market. It's older than the Redrock one. But it's also the worst quality one, the el chepos from all el chepos.

Edited by Michael Maier, 16 January 2008 - 10:39 AM.

#12 Simon Miya

Simon Miya
  • Sustaining Members
  • 82 posts
  • Other
  • Portland, OR

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:34 AM

Whips and speedcranks are included in the rental package. These are not the types of items that ACs need to own.

#13 Rory Hanrahan

Rory Hanrahan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • NYC

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:38 AM

indiFOCUSpro gives you? the ability to use a whip using the new industry standard mount,

I'm not sure what the "new" industry standard mount is referring to, as I've only come across the <1/2" Arri-type mount we all know and love.

Thanks for the review Michael!

#14 Rory Hanrahan

Rory Hanrahan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • NYC

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:44 AM

Sorry for the double-post, but to Simon:

Whips and cranks are generally a part of the package, I've never left the rental house without them. I have worked on gigs though (usually those fly-by-night, one-weekend "great experience" jobs that you take for a quick under-the-table $300 in your pocket) where the DP or other so-and-so doing the "checkout" have no idea what they're doing and don't get what you need.

I've always believed that its better to have a tool and not need it than to need a tool and not have it?

#15 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

Any leads on a good low cost whip? I have Chorizel FF which is in dire need of one :(

#16 Michael Maier

Michael Maier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:04 PM

I'm not sure what the "new" industry standard mount is referring to, as I've only come across the <1/2" Arri-type mount we all know and love.

Thanks for the review Michael!

Yes, I'm also not sure what standard they are talking about, but if you look at the picture of their knob, that port doesn't look like an Arri port. Specially that it seems to be way too small to be 1/2", unless that knob is like, huge.

#17 Jess Haas

Jess Haas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Monica, Ca

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:50 AM

Redrocks whips use the standard connection and I believe are reasonably priced. I have used them on a number of film shoots but strangely never with the redrock followfocus....

~Jess

#18 Michael Maier

Michael Maier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:57 AM

Yes, I have the Redrock whips. They are great and I see no difference from the Chrosziel ones. Besides 3 of the Redrock whips (3", 12",18") coast as much as only one of the Arris or Chrosziel. Really great product and great price. But Redrock doesn't make a crank (yet) which is what I'm looking for.

#19 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:27 AM

I had just seen the Red Rocks, so it's nice to hear a vote of confidence in them. Now I just need to dig out my change jar. . .

#20 monday sunnlinn

monday sunnlinn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Other
  • Boston

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

indifocus says their new one has a new gear box, maybe they are aware of the play in their old ones. anyone actually used the 'new' one yet? i'm curious as to how well they work now...

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

CineTape

Tai Audio

Visual Products