#1 Vincenzo Condorelli AIC

Vincenzo Condorelli AIC
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:05 AM

hello everybody,

im shooting a project in india (short film & music video - arri sr3 / s16 500t vision 3) and since i couldnt find any ringlight available for hire, i asked my sparks to build one, the cheapest way.
basically im getting a ring of plywood 36'' the outer diameter (30'' the inner one) with 10 holders for 100w bulbs. which kind of bulbs would fit best? normal bare tungsten? or any kind of diffused one available for home lighting?

im gonna use the ringlight for the close-ups of one of the talent, who's a bollywood start, so id like to be very careful in getting the best beauty shot possible. in this respect any suggestion would be greatly apreciated. the story is a noir, inspired by the hollywood genre, so i was thinking for her close-ups to have front light (the ringlight) and strong back/hairlight (1/2 ctb considering that im shooting tungsteen balanced). the only diffusion filters available in camera are: soft fx, black diffusion and gold diffusion...which of the above would you advice to use? the talent has a fairly light skin tone, very caucasian indeed.
thanks a lot for your feedback

#2 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3062 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:59 AM

Have some lower wattage bulbs standing by. 1000w is a lot of light (and heat) to put 3 feet from someone's face. I usually use either 25w or 40w bulbs.

#3 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:24 AM

Paint the plywood white or use a white foam to line the ring and use these bulbs:

http://www.lightbulb...CTGY/SilverBowl

they will create a soft bounced light rather than a direct light. you might also rig a diffusion in front of it to help soften the light.

I like building my ring lights out of x-mas lights. you can use foam core or gator board and hot glue the lamps poking thru the foam. the hundred or so little lites make a nice soft warm eye light.

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Visual Products

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Opal

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc