Carl Brighton, Jim Murdoch? What is this about?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

hello,
relative newbie to the forum and i've been grepping through threads for hints on HD cameras and keep coming across this verbal jousting, people getting banned. i've tried reading through the posts but it's all a bit vague to follow since it's happened quite a while ago.

thanks!

#2 Ruairi Robinson

Ruairi Robinson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:15 PM

hello,
relative newbie to the forum and i've been grepping through threads for hints on HD cameras and keep coming across this verbal jousting, people getting banned. i've tried reading through the posts but it's all a bit vague to follow since it's happened quite a while ago.

thanks!

Who gives a flying felch at this point...?

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

Yeah. But it was damn good entertainment!!

R,

#4 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:33 PM

well mr. robinson, please READ the heading under the thread title. it says "Newbie needs history lesson." it does not say stop by to start a flame war or throw in a verbal grenade just to be negative. just because someone is a relative newbie to forum, don't assume anything.

if you bothered to look i also posted a thread, that the Murdoch thread was some of funniest material i've read in a long, long time. :)

#5 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:35 PM

Yeah. But it was damn good entertainment!!

R,

R.,

i couldn't stop laughing... just curious what happened that's all. it had everything, "lens", kilts, etc. ran nearly the entire encyclopedia of subjects :)

Edited by Glen Alexander, 16 January 2008 - 07:38 PM.

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:09 PM

There really isn't a "story" to be told -- a quick scan through their posts gives you a sense of their typical posting trends.

Jim Murdoch had some major bug up his a-- about Panavision, and the Genesis in particular. Theories were that he was this Australian guy with the anti-Panavision site who was an ex-employee. Now that so many projects have been shot on the Genesis, his whole paranoia over the Genesis release is more senseless than ever. Carl Brighton was a camera assistant who had some major attitude problem with digital camera technology and RED in particular, if I remember their posts correctly...

#7 Ruairi Robinson

Ruairi Robinson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:57 AM

well mr. robinson, please READ the heading under the thread title. it says "Newbie needs history lesson." it does not say stop by to start a flame war or throw in a verbal grenade just to be negative. just because someone is a relative newbie to forum, don't assume anything.

if you bothered to look i also posted a thread, that the Murdoch thread was some of funniest material i've read in a long, long time. :)

So... you give a flying felch then...?

#8 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:36 AM

Hi Ruairi,

Thanks for that, I could quote a post you made in the Red forum but I won't bother.

Stephen

#9 Ruairi Robinson

Ruairi Robinson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:19 AM

Hi Ruairi,

Thanks for that, I could quote a post you made in the Red forum but I won't bother.

Stephen

Then why bother bringing it up?

Quote away! Especially if it makes me look like a hypocrite. I can take it. I'm well 'ard :)

#10 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:46 AM

I didn't know Brighton was banned, he was one of the funniest people we've ever had. He certainly cracked a funny joke about Richard Boddington once. :)

#11 A. Whitehouse

A. Whitehouse
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Director
  • Melbourne

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:19 AM

I think part of the fun of Jim Murdoch was his picture, which turned out was of a Scottish landscape painter and stolen from his website (I believe the painter was genuinely called Jim Murdoch). It seems every once in awhile a new persona crops up in these forums who is obviously posting under a false name and generally starts with some very inflammatory remarks designed to get a response. Whatever happened to that guy who ran a digital rental house in Germany? Jan Van Kroph?

#12 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

Whatever happened to that guy who ran a digital rental house in Germany? Jan Van Kroph?

He did get banned for 6 months.

Stephen

#13 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

Quote away! Especially if it makes me look like a hypocrite. I can take it. I'm well 'ard :)

Hi Ruairi,

You wrote "It's strange to me how forums like this are such a magnet for crackpots.

Yours sincerely,
The Messiah."

#14 Charlie Peich

Charlie Peich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:12 PM

Murdoch's site is still up Aw give it a rest guys!

#15 Ruairi Robinson

Ruairi Robinson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Hi Ruairi,

You wrote "It's strange to me how forums like this are such a magnet for crackpots.

Yours sincerely,
The Messiah."

and...?

#16 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

Personally no i don't but if i wanted to start as a stand up comic or worked as a writer (well if there wasn't a strike) you could gets lots of so much funny, gut busting, piss yourself laughing material. That kilt photo is classic. Is the material people post on this website copyrighted? As long as you reference this site, does fair public use apply?

Edited by Glen Alexander, 17 January 2008 - 10:38 PM.

#17 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

Whatever happened to that guy who ran a digital rental house in Germany? Jan Van Kroph?

Thanks! some more reading material.

#18 Carl Brighton

Carl Brighton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:35 PM

I didn't know Brighton was banned, he was one of the funniest people we've ever had. He certainly cracked a funny joke about Richard Boddington once. :)

Not banned, just bored!

I originally came here looking for hard technical information on the RED, which in the early days was like pulling teeth. Well, the teeth kept coming out, but they were mostly false :rolleyes::-)

I now have most of the information I require, so I've cleaned my dental pliers and put them away:-)

Personally I couldn't give a fourpenny f*ck about the Post Production workflow considerations that seem to dominate the forums now. Nor am I interested in delivery schedules. All I ever cared about is the image quality that goes into the chain, you know: "garbage in - garbage out" and all that.

The RED is a good camera, well, a fantastic camera for the price, but I seriously doubt it will revolutionize anything much.

My 0.02c worth:
People who already have real jobs using real video cameras will be able to do their jobs better, for less money. When the RED gets a proven track record, it will probably be commonplace for a single job to pay for a small fleet of REDs.

People who don't yet have real jobs are unlikely to ever get them just because they've bought a RED. It's more likely that they will eventually wind up selling their camera packages for considerably less than they paid for them, to people who have the contacts and experience to get gainful employment from them, but need more cameras in hurry.

Unpalatable, but the reality of the industry. Look at the fantastically diverse inventory Panavision now have, mostly acquired from takeovers of smaller companies that went belly-up becasue they overcapitalized on new technology.

#19 Carl Brighton

Carl Brighton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:43 PM

He certainly cracked a funny joke about Richard Boddington once. :)

Kind of youi to remember.

I may have give Richard the impression that I was "on his case" for some reason. It was just a coincidence that there were two separate posts of his that reminded me of similar postings on another forum, (completely unrelated to this one), and I basically adapted the responses. I'm not always original with my replies, I just have a good memory for funny ones :rolleyes:

#20 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

Hi Carl,

Good to read you posts again, I've really enjoyed your previous entertaining posts.

Let's see if we can have some more entertainment and maybe some enlightenment.

Those monikers you used are classic one of my favorites is something like, I'm paraphrasing

Carl (if you don't agree with me, you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground) Brighton

I'm interested to get your opinions entertaining and otherwise on a little system I'm building.

Basically I have a 1" CCD sensor operates at 1920x1080@32fps, RGB, so you run it through the deBayer/demosaic, suffer some effective pixel loss. The sensor can also be operated in mono mode but the sensitivity drops by about 1/3 but I get more effective pixels on target (the scene).

I can order the sensor strictly in mono so the sensitivity won't be lost.

Also I'm in a quandry about lenses (I did use "lenses" properly ha ha think I remember from Born&Wolfe or somewhere) There is another post with lots of more questions.

The standard mount is C-mount but I can get an F-mount adapter. Most C-mount lenses are designed for 2/3" not 1". Are there good C-mount lenses for 2/3" that won't distort where I would have to severely crop the resulting image?

If I go with an F-mount this introduces a magnification effect, so to get a original shot calling for a 35mm lens would need ~24mm?

Then add in the effect of switching between mono and RGB with the sensitivity degradation.. uggh

Need help, a few laughs would go a long way as well :)

cheers

glen "extracting useful and funny material from Carl Brighton" alexander

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

CineTape

Opal

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC