#1 Peter Anderson

Peter Anderson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:13 PM

I have a test shoot yesterday to try out some fuji stock. Its on a 100' spool so im having to use my schools Arriflex SR2 instead of the Aaton XTR.

Is there any advice or tips anyone can offer. Id like to prevent any stupid mistakes on my part.

Thanks

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:08 PM

There's an endless list of things you could do wrong...so you should probably be a bit more specific. But here's what's coming to mind:

Since you're running 100' loads, just make sure you take out the core adapter and load a daylight spool on the take-up. That way your exposed film will fit back inside the Kodak box/Fuji can it came in. If you roll onto a 2" core on the takeup, it won't fit back in and you'll have to have a 400' can handy.

Be sure to release the hard count lever before closing the mag. Unless you have a digital readout, you won't know for sure how much you've rolled.

And careful with the onboard battery adapter. It screws onto the back and is quite susceptible to damage. So when you're putting a battery on or taking one off, hold onto the adapter with your other hand. Those adapters break too easily.

When adjusting your diopter, make sure you're turning the correct ring on the eyepiece. I've seen people unscrew it right off, having it fall to the floor...which is a very expensive repair/replacement.

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

I have a test shoot yesterday...

Oh wait, yesterday?

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:15 PM

I have a test shoot yesterday to try out some fuji stock. Its on a 100' spool so im having to use my schools Arriflex SR2 instead of the Aaton XTR.

Is there any advice or tips anyone can offer. Id like to prevent any stupid mistakes on my part.

Thanks

You can download and read the free PDF of the original Arriflex 16SRII instruction manual at the address below:

Free PDF of Arriflex 16SRII Instruction Manual

Best,
-Tim

#5 Peter Anderson

Peter Anderson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:01 PM

Er, sorry not yesterday (duh). Had it today. Biggest error that was made was we didnt realise when the roll was finished as the counter doesnt work with daylight spools and theres no noticable change in sound. Well, thats what test shoots are for i suppose.

CineTape

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC