#1 Matt Irwin

Matt Irwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:59 PM

I have a shoot next week that involves glowing CG elements to be comped in during post. It is a fantasy short with a few scenes where characters summon a glowing ball of colored plasma in their hand (different colors per character), and there is one shot in which one character "fires" the plasma at another character.

I've been toying with some ideas about how to create a moving colored source that will be motivated by the cg and will interact with the actors and set. Ideally the source would be physically small enough so the CG element can cover it up or it can be easily comped out. A frosted edison bulb would be a good size, so I'm wondering if there is a source for color dipped bulbs in the LA area. In a perfect world, bulbs dipped in gel (like party green, steel blue, etc) would great.

I'm concerned that bunching gel over a photoflood would be too large physically and would melt very fast.

We are shooting 400T lit down to T1.3, so these don't have to be powerful bulbs. (200w would give us room to dim) Not looking for a blinding light, just something to interact on set.

(checked studio depot and film tools, and they don't have anything like this)

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:25 PM

I swear we had this EXACT thread a couple years ago. Is this film a remake? ;)

Colored party bulbs are easy to find, but they generally come in small wattages: http://www.buylighti...Bulbs-s/119.htm. You can also get colored CFL's: http://www.blinkerbo...Fluorescent.asp

You'd probably want to supplement the real glow with gelled off-camera lights anyway.

#3 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:27 PM

I have a shoot next week that involves glowing CG elements to be comped in during post. It is a fantasy short with a few scenes where characters summon a glowing ball of colored plasma in their hand (different colors per character), and there is one shot in which one character "fires" the plasma at another character.

I've been toying with some ideas about how to create a moving colored source that will be motivated by the cg and will interact with the actors and set. Ideally the source would be physically small enough so the CG element can cover it up or it can be easily comped out. A frosted edison bulb would be a good size, so I'm wondering if there is a source for color dipped bulbs in the LA area. In a perfect world, bulbs dipped in gel (like party green, steel blue, etc) would great.

I'm concerned that bunching gel over a photoflood would be too large physically and would melt very fast.

We are shooting 400T lit down to T1.3, so these don't have to be powerful bulbs. (200w would give us room to dim) Not looking for a blinding light, just something to interact on set.

(checked studio depot and film tools, and they don't have anything like this)

I bought this from Barbizon in New York. They have other locations but Barbizon N.Y. could probably
ship to you by next week no problem. This is supposed to be daylight balanced (I think they said actually
about 6000K) and it's 500w. Don't recall if they have smaller but you could talk to them and see about that
and other colors. http://www.barbizon.com/home/index.cfm Good luck.

Attached Images

• Photo_815.jpg
  • Photo_827.jpg

#4 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

I swear we had this EXACT thread a couple years ago. Is this film a remake? ;)

Colored party bulbs are easy to find, but they generally come in small wattages: http://www.buylighti...Bulbs-s/119.htm. You can also get colored CFL's: http://www.blinkerbo...Fluorescent.asp

You'd probably want to supplement the real glow with gelled off-camera lights anyway.

Er, what he said. That's a good link.

#5 Matt Irwin

Matt Irwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:55 PM

Thanks guys, I'll check out everything stated.
Sorry for "remake", my brain is a bit drained at the moment.... ;)

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Opal