#1 Jack Williamson

Jack Williamson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

Hello,

I am looking into getting a 1/2 inch video zoom to test with super 16mm. I have used a lot of "TV Lenses" in c-mount with great results.

The 1/2 inch broadcast zooms look like they would be fun to use. Anyone know if they will cover super 16mm?

I know the 1/2 inch format is measured at 6.4mm by 4.8mm and the super 16mm negative is 12.52mm by 7.41mm but I doubt the video lenses will only cover the 1/2 inch sensor. In my experience video lenses seem to cover more than they are rated to.

I have used the smallest c-mount lenses and to my surprise they always seem to cover super 16mm well beyond the frame.

Anyone have any experience trying the 1/2 inch video lenses? Or event he 2/3 inch? I am positive 1 inch video always covers.

Any thoughts?

Jack

#2 Jack Williamson

Jack Williamson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

Hello again,

I did some more research and it appears the only lenses that are guaranteed to work through the whole range are 1 inch video lenses everything else, especially 1/2 inch would most likely vignette.

I have one Canon 17-102mm zoom and it covers the super 16mm frame with flying colors. I am guess it is a 1 inch video lens. Great images too, I recommend it if anyone is looking for a zoom on the cheap that is better than an angenieux in my opinion.

Jack

#3 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2069 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

If you do a search on B&H Photo's site they have a good selection of C-Mount lenses and categorize them by 1/3", 1/2", 2/3" and 1". Look on the side for the category.

#4 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:24 PM

Anyone have any experience trying the 1/2 inch video lenses? Or event he 2/3 inch? I am positive 1 inch video always covers.

The 1/2" frame is 4.8x6.4mm, which is a tad larger than Super8. It won't cover a regular 16mm frame.

2/3" is 6.6x8.8mm, almost the safe action area for regular 16mm. The long ends of some zooms might cover the full frame.

1" is 9.6x12.8mm, larger than S16.

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5193 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:12 PM

Video lenses tend to be designed to be used with 3 CCD cameras with the optical block. Unless you plan to use the lenses from the B&W CCTV cameras you really need an adapter like the Abakus.

#6 Jack Williamson

Jack Williamson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:51 PM

Video lenses tend to be designed to be used with 3 CCD cameras with the optical block. Unless you plan to use the lenses from the B&W CCTV cameras you really need an adapter like the Abakus.

Yeah I have done a lot more reading on the matter. I thank you guys for all your help. I am just going to look into still picture lenses for an alternative to affordable quality lenses. I have all the video lenses for shooting film I need at this point.

Jack

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks