Photo

Canon j8x6b4 or similar repair/service-manual/disassembly advice?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Gleeson

Matt Gleeson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:10 AM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to assist me with information or advice on disassembling the front element of the Canon j8x6b4 broadcast video lens?
A long story short, the lens had been on loan from the previous owner to a third party who had mistreated it, and managed to puncture the seal on the front element (it appears as if they've tried to "screw" in a filter or some kind of fitting to the front of the lens that had two "prongs" that have eventually just pushed through the metal on opposite sides of the glass) this has resulted in what appears to be corrosion of the metal just inside the front element (I've attached a photo)
DSCF4864b1.jpg
The damage doesn't affect the function of the lens in any way, the optics are perfect and it produces a beautiful picture, however, the corrosion is quite obvious as seen from the front of the lens and I would like to clean it up at least from a cosmetic point of view.
I know I should probably have it professionally serviced by Canon, but am a little short on funds currently and thought I'd see if I could give it a go myself if possible.

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:28 PM

I would absolutely suggest that you do NOT try to fix this yourself. These elements are mounted with great precision and I doubt you could get it back together again properly. You can send it to a local repair facility for an estimate before committing to do the work. We can do this for you, and there are other places as well.

#3 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

I would absolutely suggest that you do NOT try to fix this yourself. These elements are mounted with great precision and I doubt you could get it back together again properly. You can send it to a local repair facility for an estimate before committing to do the work. We can do this for you, and there are other places as well.

What Mitch said. Also I don't know how long it's been like that but if there is moisture in there you should have it looked at ASAP as that can lead to fungal growth which can spread and eat the coating off of lenses and worse.

CineTape

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets