#1 Mehul

Mehul

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:55 PM

Hi. I posted previous about debating on the Sony f-23 vs. super 16, but now the affordable option is the Sony HDW-F900. I wanted to get thoughts on whether this is a good option of transferring to 35mm film. Also, it is a bollywood style type film, so I want the colors to really pop. Any suggestions on settings, etc.. that will be the best to get optimum color and resolution for an ultimate 35 mm workprint?
Thanks!

#2 Arni Heimir

Arni Heimir
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Other
  • Reykjavik/Barcelona

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:13 PM

I really liked the panavised f900. I think it holds well on the big screen.

I think that F-23 is more at par with 35mm. Not s16.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

Hi. I posted previous about debating on the Sony f-23 vs. super 16, but now the affordable option is the Sony HDW-F900. I wanted to get thoughts on whether this is a good option of transferring to 35mm film. Also, it is a bollywood style type film, so I want the colors to really pop. Any suggestions on settings, etc.. that will be the best to get optimum color and resolution for an ultimate 35 mm workprint?
Thanks!

Color-correct in post for more color saturation and contrast, print the film-out on Vision Premier.

I would shoot with the camera settings in a more neutral setting for color. At the most, you could use the ITU709 Color preset, which is moderately saturated. Keep the blacks at "0". Don't use Black Gamma to increase shadow detail, do it with lighting instead. Don't use diffusion, except maybe on close-ups.

There have been many movies shot on the F900 and transferred to 35mm, such as "Star Wars: Attack of the Clones", "Once Upon a Time in Mexico", "Spy Kids 2"...

#4 Mehul

Mehul

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

so what do you think the trick is to make it look the best for 35 mm, aside from lighting. such as camera settings? i know you gave me a few suggestions...but anything else would be helpful!

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies