Photo

JVC GY101 vs Panasonic DVX100 for a SD music video?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

Hi,

Going to be shooting a music video in a few weeks and have the choice between the JVC or the Panasonic.

I really like the DVX but have never had a chance to shoot with the JVC 101 yet, which is perhaps reason enough to give it a go, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to test each camera side by side first.

Anybody have opinions on which they prefer? Drawbacks of one over the other?

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:05 PM

I have tested the 101, shot with both the 250 and the DVX, and taught several courses on the DVX.

Clearly it will look better if you shoot and post it in HD, which you may as well do if you go for the JVC - there's effectively no cost increase. Also, the 101 is true widescreen, which the DVX is not.

It also depends if you wanted to mount some sort of lens adaptor, regardless of whether it's got a groundglass in it. Obviously the JVC will do this better as the lens is removable, but there may be more reason to do it there as the lens on most 101s is horrible at anything other than the ideal stop.

The other issue is whether you want to overcrank. On a 250 you can do this in HD and on the 101 it's SD only, but it's inarguable that the technique is best done for real.

Both produce nice pictures and if the DVX was true widescreen and I didn't care about overcranking it would be a less obvious choice. However, the DVX is not true widescreen and you may well care about overcranking. Bring into the argument the much nicer ergonomics on the JVC, particularly its lens even if you use the default, and I would find it difficult to justify shooting DVX if I had the choice.

P

#3 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:24 AM

Thanks Phil, great and concise response as always.

My big concern about about the JVC GY101 is perhaps the lens, I suspect it will be the stock lens which I haven't heard very nice things about. Plus the sort of people that rent these cameras tend to be a bit behind stocking attachments for their newer more expenssive kits - I know most people who rent DVXs will alwasy have a wide angle converter hanging about, I doubt i'll get that on the JVC101.

Edited by Andy_Alderslade, 22 January 2008 - 09:26 AM.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:29 PM

If you're going to rent, consider going to Fava Rental who have 250s and all the nice toys:

http://www.favarental.co.uk/home.html

Last time I used them they didn't have lenses but the results are very nice if you make sure the mini35 is set up properly. If you do go for a 250, give me a shout and we'll record it uncompressed for you.

Or, give Anna Carrington a ring - she owns a 101 and I believe an adaptor for it.

P

#5 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

Personally I would go with the DVX100 if it has the anamorphic, or you can access on easily. It's most likely a better camera, and that that brilliant cine mode can't be at all bad. If you know the DVX to be good, and are familiar with it then I'd say go with it. Your choice, of course.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:19 PM

> It's most likely a better camera

Oh, right, OK. We'll start choosing equipment on the basis of likelihoods rather than, you know, actually having used it.

Phil

#7 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

If you're going to rent, consider going to Fava Rental who have 250s and all the nice toys:

http://www.favarental.co.uk/home.html

Last time I used them they didn't have lenses but the results are very nice if you make sure the mini35 is set up properly. If you do go for a 250, give me a shout and we'll record it uncompressed for you.

Or, give Anna Carrington a ring - she owns a 101 and I believe an adaptor for it.

P

Thanks for the tip Phil, unfortunatly the shoot is in Shefield and they want to hire everything locally. Did go with the 101 in the end.

Personally I would go with the DVX100 if it has the anamorphic, or you can access on easily. It's most likely a better camera, and that that brilliant cine mode can't be at all bad. If you know the DVX to be good, and are familiar with it then I'd say go with it. Your choice, of course.

Thanks Matthew, of course every now and again its worth trying out something new and see what happens.

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera