• 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:13 AM

The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford by Roger Deakins
Atonement by Seamus McGarvey
The Diving Bell And The Butterfly by Janusz Kaminski
No Country For Old Men by Roger Deakins again
There Will Be Blood by Robert Elswit

And on a sidenote, I am devastated that the amazing Keira Nightley got robbed of a nomination for her very natural performance in 'Atonement'.

#2 Tim Partridge

Tim Partridge
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:22 AM

My (instinctive) prediction:

Deakins or Kaminski will win. Double nominations for the same person in one category tend to cancel themselves out, but I still think it will be 50/50 on this one.

#3 Arni Heimir

Arni Heimir
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Other
  • Reykjavik/Barcelona

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:26 AM

I think that atonement could actually win it.

#4 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:56 AM

Lol, Deakins vs Deakins... I knew it!

Sadly, I still have not seen three of these films!

Regarding the two that I have seen, I actually liked the photography better in No Country than Jesse James.

Sucks that Rodrigo did not get nominated for Lust, Caution.

#5 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

Max i am stunned about your comment about Ms Knightley [NOT] cant understand why anyone thought that she be win anything for that performance .

#6 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:16 PM

i was always going to put money on Roger Deakins , but which one now ?

#7 Jamie Lewis

Jamie Lewis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:21 PM

My vote goes to Elswit.

#8 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

It's time for Deakins to finally win one after being nominated so many times.

#9 Felipe Perez-Burchard

Felipe Perez-Burchard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles, CA USA / Mexico D.F., Mexico

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

I think Deakins will finally get the oscar, probably for Jesse James (its hard for me to say this, but I think "No Country" deserves it more), and Robert Elswit will probably get the ASC award (note its the very same nominations).
But then again Atonement seems like the "pretty" film (I haven't seen it, not out where I am right now) which could swipe the award from the truly deserving Mr. Deakins.

my two cents.

-felipe.

#10 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

It's time for Deakins to finally win one after being nominated so many times.

Yeah but the Academy at large might not know this. This will go to a full vote of the Academy membership, who are not necessarily experts on cinematography, and who have been suckers in the past for "pretty" period pictures like Atonement with beautiful actors and sets and costumes, etc. Atonement also has a visible "gimmick" with that long steadicam shot, which might sway average people. I have not seen Atonement yet, and it might be the most deserving, but don't expect the Academy membership to choose the best DP on pure merit. :lol: And I don't mean to disrespect the steadicam shot by calling it a "gimmick", but I hope you guys understand my meaning.

BTW, are you a voting member, David?

#11 Chayse Irvin

Chayse Irvin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

Deakins for Jesse James. Robert Elswit in second.

#12 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

BTW, are you a voting member, David?

Yes, though I screwed up and didn't get to nominate anything - I had the forms lying around and waited until I had seen enough of the movies to make a good judgement, then noticed that I missed the deadline for turning them in by one day. I assume I'll get a final ballot.

#13 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:27 PM

Okay. Most importantly, who's going to handle the book on this? Who's good with odds and has bank?

#14 Francesco Bonomo

Francesco Bonomo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • currently in Rome, Italy

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:56 PM

no offense to the other nominees, who i think are absolutely excellent, but I so hope that Roger Deakins is going to win this time!

#15 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

Yes, though I screwed up and didn't get to nominate anything - I had the forms lying around and waited until I had seen enough of the movies to make a good judgement, then noticed that I missed the deadline for turning them in by one day. I assume I'll get a final ballot.

Heh. I know, I've really been lagging on seeing these pictures this year for some reason. So.... if you had voted, would it have been Deakins? Which picture?

#16 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:33 PM

Heh. I know, I've really been lagging on seeing these pictures this year for some reason. So.... if you had voted, would it have been Deakins? Which picture?

I'm not really allowed to go into details.

#17 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

I'm not really allowed to go into details.

Because of the ASC? Just curious.

#18 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:02 PM

If you're talking about the Oscar nominating process, that's controlled by AMPAS, not the ASC. Like I said, I forgot to submit my nominations in time. When I get the ballot for the final awards, I will vote. I'm sure that AMPAS doesn't want members telling people publically what they are voting for -- besides, I haven't made up my mind, not until I actually look at the ballot.

For the ASC Awards, I think my five choices were: Jesse James, No Country for Old Men, Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, Lust, Caution. I think (this is from memory). I'm sure I debated myself on whether to replace one of those five with "Atonement".

Since the awards are on Saturday, I won't say which of the ASC Award nominees I actually voted for.

#19 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:08 PM

If you're talking about the Oscar nominating process, that's controlled by AMPAS, not the ASC. Like I said, I forgot to submit my nominations in time. When I get the ballot for the final awards, I will vote. I'm sure that AMPAS doesn't want members telling people publically what they are voting for -- besides, I haven't made up my mind, not until I actually look at the ballot.

For the ASC Awards, I think my five choices were: Jesse James, No Country for Old Men, Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, Lust, Caution. I think (this is from memory). I'm sure I debated myself on whether to replace one of those five with "Atonement".

Since the awards are on Saturday, I won't say which of the ASC Award nominees I actually voted for.

Oh, gotcha. Great choices. I've not seen Diving Bell and the Butterfly or Elizabeth.

#20 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:33 PM

I have to admit I've only seen the first fifteen minutes of "Atonement" -- the projection wasn't that good and I got to a scene where a creepy man is chatting up some kids and I decided to come back another day and see if I could get further into the movie. It seemed very "novelistic" for better or worse.

I hadn't seen "There Will Be Blood" at the time I had to send in the nominations.

Personally, I would have a hard time dropping either Remi's "Elizabeth" or Rodrigo's "Lust, Caution" to accomodate those two other movies... though you could say that "Elizabeth" and "Atonement" share some similarities (net diffusion, period setting, elaborate camera movement, 1.85 frame). However, "Lust, Caution" and "There Will Be Blood" are very opposite tonally, in subject matter, setting, aspect ratio, etc. In some ways, "There Will Be Blood" has more visually in common with Deakin's two nominations.

It's interesting to look at the technical trends here:

“Jesse James”: Super-35 / 2.40 / Kodak / D.I.
“Atonement” Super-35 / 1.85 / Kodak / D.I.
“The Diving Bell and the Butterfly” standard 35mm 1.85 / Kodak & Fuji / no D.I. / ENR-type prints
“No Country for Old Men” Super-35 / 2.40 / Kodak / D.I.
“There Will Be Blood” 35mm anamorphic 2.40 / Kodak / no D.I.

Anamorphic movies used to dominate the cinematography Oscar nominations but not so much anymore (though anamorphic photography often wins the award). D.I.'s have become the norm. Kodak is still the most common stock used. Most studio releases are in 2.40 these days, though most as Super-35 now. Special print processing like ENR has almost disappeared other than for Kaminski's movies, and this years "American Gangster".

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks