Tim Nuttall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:18 PM

Hi all,

Wondering what techniques were used to shoot these commercials? Is it green screen or a white backing? Would there be any positive/negatives regarding the two?

Thanks.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

Looks just like a typical white cyc wall to me. Keep it simple to is probably best.

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:25 PM

It's often called "white limbo" (as opposed to "black limbo" or just "limbo," where there's no set at all). White limbo is done all the time, and probably a little easier than greenscreen because you don't have to worry so much about shadows, reflections, or matte edges.

#4 Tim Nuttall

Tim Nuttall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:08 PM

Thanks you for the great responses.

So the "white limbo" shot against a cyc wall, correct? What are some good options for lighting such a wall? KinoFlo? SkyPan?

Thanks.

It's often called "white limbo" (as opposed to "black limbo" or just "limbo," where there's no set at all). White limbo is done all the time, and probably a little easier than greenscreen because you don't have to worry so much about shadows, reflections, or matte edges.

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:50 PM

I saw a piece by Chris Elliott recently on Late Show where he spoofed those Mac commercials. But you could tell it was against a green screen because whenever he moved fast or waved his arms or hands in the air, you could see blurs of green.

#6 John Hall

John Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Best Boy
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:05 PM

Thanks you for the great responses.

So the "white limbo" shot against a cyc wall, correct? What are some good options for lighting such a wall? KinoFlo? SkyPan?

Thanks.

They probably lit the cyc with spacelights hanging from the grid to get an even exposure on the wall, curve and floor.
It looks like they were keyed from the side with a soft but directional source, probably a big light through some diffusion. You can see head shadows on the shoulders. And probably a big bounce for fil.

At least, thats how I've lit a few corporate video 'mac vs pc' spoofs i've worked on *groan*.

They've also probably done a lot of post work to make the white perfectly even (if it is indeed a cyc wall) and get ride of multiple shadows on the floor.
The only real shadows appear directly behind and under them, which initially made me think of a huge soft bounce over the camera (10x20 or something), but the lighting on the talent doesn't indicate that.

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Technodolly

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc