#1 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:54 PM

Just watched Visions of Light. Unfortunately, it was on VHS. All the same, what a delight to see and hear so many great cinematographers speak in first person. Wow.

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:12 PM

Seen it many times, and it's always great to watch.

I still need to see "Cinematographer Style", but it's hard to get one on the cheap!

#3 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:41 AM

Just watched Visions of Light. Unfortunately, it was on VHS. All the same, what a delight to see and hear so many great cinematographers speak in first person. Wow.

I first saw it in a cinema over 10 years ago. I think I pretty much decided there and then that's what I wanted to do.

I have it on DVD (from amazon) and it could definintly do with a re-transfer. It was an NHK co-production, so I'm sure it must exist on HD / HiVision somewhere. Would be a lovely blu-ray title.

Cinematogrpaher style is pretty OK, but it's much more...umm..techy. And there's isn't a single clip from any films. it's wall to wall talking heads.

jb

#4 John Allen

John Allen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Iowa

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

I love "Visions of Light". It's a pitty that they don't make more things like that.

#5 David Rosenblum

David Rosenblum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:39 PM

As a student...Visions of Light = great.

Cinematographer Style = not so much. It was great to hear all of the living (and recently departed) legends discuss their work, careers, techniques, etc. but there were no clips. It was very disappointing. In a visual medium, it would have been cool to actually see some things they were talking about.

#6 Francesco Bonomo

Francesco Bonomo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • currently in Rome, Italy

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:04 PM

It was an NHK co-production, so I'm sure it must exist on HD / HiVision somewhere. Would be a lovely blu-ray title.

Right after watching it two years ago at the Maine Workshops, someone (it could have been Michael Goi, ASC, or someone else in the class) said that the original tapes are pretty much gone, so the possibilities for a new transfer are non-existent. I heard there was a lot of material that was not included in the final cut that is now lost forever.

Cinematogrpaher style is pretty OK, but it's much more...umm..techy. And there's isn't a single clip from any films. it's wall to wall talking heads.

I absolutely love Cinematographer Style, though I can understand why a lot of people like VoL better. Not including clips from any movie was a very ballsy choice, but I like it quite a lot, given the nature of the documentary.

Can't wait for "Cinematographer Style II"... ;)

#7 Steve Goodloe

Steve Goodloe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Grip
  • Los Angles, CA

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:07 AM

I wish they would make the full interviews from CS available, I would love to see them.

#8 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:08 AM

Right after watching it two years ago at the Maine Workshops, someone (it could have been Michael Goi, ASC, or someone else in the class) said that the original tapes are pretty much gone, so the possibilities for a new transfer are non-existent. I heard there was a lot of material that was not included in the final cut that is now lost forever.

REALLY?? Oh my word, that amounts to a crime against the arts! What an indescribable shame! I had no idea! :blink: :(

It is an excellent documentary, which I first saw on the 28 December 1995, on the 100th birthday of cinema. It was the opening docu for an entire (most excellent) series of docs on German public tv about cinematography. Visions of Light and those others offered me the first methodical guidance through cinematography, it also was the first time that I saw DoP not only appear in persona, but also speak about their work. Note: that was way before something like "making ofs" became so common as they are today...

Ritter Battery

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

CineLab