#1 anthony derose

anthony derose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Student
  • NYC

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:19 AM

When using practical?s, what is a better route to go, buy 3200K corrected bulbs or gel the lamp you are using to motivate the practical.

Most bulbs are rated at 2,800 if I gel my light with 1/8 cto bringing it down to that range, will it look to orange?

Do most dp's change practical?s to white light, I feel practical?s have a orange tint to them and its more natural to keep it.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:23 AM

Either way works -- you can always add warmth in color-correction, or remove it.

#3 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:22 AM

When using practical?s, what is a better route to go, buy 3200K corrected bulbs or gel the lamp you are using to motivate the practical.

Most bulbs are rated at 2,800 if I gel my light with 1/8 cto bringing it down to that range, will it look to orange?

Do most dp's change practical?s to white light, I feel practical?s have a orange tint to them and its more natural to keep it.

I rarely feel the need to correct pracs to 3200. If you get a colour temp meter out and meter most tungsten film lights, you may be surprised to find that they are closer to 2800 than 3200 anyways. It's such a small difference by the time they're all on set, it all seems to come out in the wash.

Of course if you want them to be warmer, I like dimming them, which also warms them up. If they're in shot, they don't tend to burn out as much either. When a source burns out, you'll notice too that the colour saturation tends to go. You can also swap out for lower wattage globes if you want to keep the colour feeling neutral but reduce the level.

jb

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc