1 reply to this topic

#1 Paul Ash

Paul Ash
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:53 AM

Years ago I found a place in the US that converted Sony Pro Walkmans into one-track sync sound recorders. That outfit seems to have shuufled into history long ago.

Trawling the web, though, I found this:

www.super8sync.com/English/R1008MD.html

Do any shooters here have experience with, or opinions about, these devices? I have both an MD recorder and a Pro Walkman in good shape, and I'm hoping this will be the asnwer to my sound needs.

Thanks again.

cheers

Paul

#2 Arthur Greisiger

Arthur Greisiger

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Producer

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:20 AM

Hi Paul,

I've been tossing around this same idea. I have it in my head that using Mini Discs could be a good alternative to wireless mics for your actors. My thinking is that each performer could carry their own recorder/mic and the same type unit could be hooked up to your camera to record both SMPTE (from a master clock) and the speed info of the camera. That being the case, all the MD players would be consistent, in terms of timing (assuming that they are). Then the only difference would be a pilotone or crystal signal from the camera, which being recorded on a MD player also, would give you the timing divergence, which you could then adjust for in your editing program. I'm assuming that editing is done on the computer and that you are using cameras without the SMPTE capabilities. That's the game plan I'm working on pursuing. I'm also using an Alesis ADAT with a BRC as the Master Clock. Sync has alway been my nightmare and the whole reason that all my films are wild sync. I ten to shoot around dialogue, and that's become my excuse for not doing narrative films. So... if this Mini Disc system works out... I'll be happy. AG

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Abel Cine

Technodolly

CineLab