7 replies to this topic

#1 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:13 AM

If thousands of people would make protest pencils and put them on their car antennas it could really raise perpetual and residual (how ironic is that) awareness about the writers strike. Yes, there is awareness, but that level of awareness needs to be spread out over all of LA, not just at the studios.

The protest pencil does not have to be for either side, but rather for both sides to go back and to the bargaining table and hash out a contract.

The protest pencils in the pictures below are not photoshopped, they are what they are. Made with about a dollar's worth of material from Toys Are Us. I bet the writers could make these and sell them for five bucks a piece to cars passing by the studios. Make some cash while raising residual awareness, not a bad combination actually.

Oh, they don't seem to work well on the freeways. About 40 - 45mph is all they are unscientifically rated for. I had to take mine off because of all the rain and whenever I am going to do freeway driving.

The_Pen_is_mightier_than_the_Ford..jpg

March_of_the_Pencils.jpg

Protest_Pencil_2.jpg

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

Act II,

The striking writers decide to start making protest pencils and selling them for five bucks to those who drive by their strike locations. The writers realize a profit of around 3 dollars and fifty cents per antenna pencil and quickly realize they can raise grocery money on a daily basis as they make and sell a couple of hundred antenna pencils everyday.

At first the studio heads cackle in amusement as they watch formerly big shot writers making antenna pencils with toys R us products. Soon the hundreds of antenna pencils grow to thousands and they begin showing up around town. Some studio executives even think the antenna pencils are following them, they no longer enjoy the smugness of driving off the studio lot and leaving the striking writers behind.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For of those of you who think the above scenario is ridiculous, what is ridiculous is writing a script and then the studios actually making a movie called "Transformers". Transformers included a huge commercial tie in to General Motors muscle cars. A commercial tie in to promote GM muscle cars when gasoline prices were over 3 bucks a gallon and climbing and we're fighting a war to keep a region stable that we are oil dependent on and that is sucking our own economy dry, yeah, that makes sense. Oh wait, only the russians feel the economic affect of war, not americans. (that was sarcasm).

While Transformers the movie can't be solely blamed, GM posted a 38 billion dollar deficit after Transformers was released, and the loss of thousands of GM blue collar jobs soon followed. You know that GM was crossing their fingers that Transformers the movie would help them sell more and more gas guzzling cars to overburdened americans.

So, if you can't see the difference between my idea to help solve a problem, and Hollywoods way of entertaining, profiteering, and then being oblivious to the damage they cause in america to fellow american workers, look again.

#3 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:52 PM

Act II,

The striking writers decide to start making protest pencils and selling them for five bucks to those who drive by their strike locations. The writers realize a profit of around 3 dollars and fifty cents per antenna pencil and quickly realize they can raise grocery money on a daily basis as they make and sell a couple of hundred antenna pencils everyday.

At first the studio heads cackle in amusement as they watch formerly big shot writers making antenna pencils with toys R us products. Soon the hundreds of antenna pencils grow to thousands and they begin showing up around town. Some studio executives even think the antenna pencils are following them, they no longer enjoy the smugness of driving off the studio lot and leaving the striking writers behind.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For of those of you who think the above scenario is ridiculous, what is ridiculous is writing a script and then the studios actually making a movie called "Transformers". Transformers included a huge commercial tie in to General Motors muscle cars. A commercial tie in to promote GM muscle cars when gasoline prices were over 3 bucks a gallon and climbing and we're fighting a war to keep a region stable that we are oil dependent on and that is sucking our own economy dry, yeah, that makes sense. Oh wait, only the russians feel the economic affect of war, not americans. (that was sarcasm).

While Transformers the movie can't be solely blamed, GM posted a 39 billion dollar deficit and whatever small part Transformers played, it most probably hurt, especially in the bigger, longer picture. You know that GM was crossing their fingers that Transformers the movie would help them sell more and more gas guzzling cars to overburdened americans.

So, if you can't see the difference between my idea to help solve a problem, and Hollywoods way of entertaining, profiteering, and then being oblivious to the damage they cause in america to fellow american workers, look again.

#4 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:54 PM

:unsure: ...

#5 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:42 AM

http://cosmos.bcst.y...pup/?cl=6174357

#6 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:03 PM

I want one. I don't have a car though so I'd just have to hold it up in the air while I'm skateboarding or something.

#7 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

Is it legal to make an add-on for your car like that? Looks rather unsafe to me.

Mind you, I think it's an interesting idea to raise awareness, but still...

#8 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:55 PM

Is it legal to make an add-on for your car like that? Looks rather unsafe to me.

Mind you, I think it's an interesting idea to raise awareness, but still...

It works fine up to 45-50 miles an hour. It's very lightweight. Would also make a very good "bopper" so both sides could engage each other in a duel without doing much physical harm.

Um, not the one in the video, the one on the cars.

I have made a slight mod and it seems to work better even at higher speeds. I think if I make them shorter that will do the trick, and lower the cost per unit in the process, (a beancounters dream)

I noticed something really ironic in doing this. Antenna's are being phased out of newer cars. When 911 was going on and everyone was sporting 911 messages attached to their antennas, who would have thought that just 6 years later we would no longer have antennas on newer cars to express ourselves.

I want one. I don't have a car though so I'd just have to hold it up in the air while I'm skateboarding or something.

It appears that antennas are becoming a thing of the past so you are actually ahead of the trend.

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks