Photo

driving scenes without really driving- what to do?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sj trinidad

sj trinidad

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

I am shooting a short that requires many scenes in a limo.
It has to appear as if the actors are driving around town, but without really driving - we have to stay imobile. this is low budget and there is no money for a flatbed or something like it.
How do we do it so it still appears like we are moving?

Thanks!

#2 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:44 PM

It has to appear as if the actors are driving around town, but without really driving - we have to stay imobile. this is low budget and there is no money for a flatbed or something like it.

Thanks!

Well, if the scenes are NIGHT EXT. you can likely get away with simple light-gags as most limos have heavily tinted windows so detail isn't terribly important.

If you have DAY EXT. to worry about, again, you could play up the heavily tinted windows to cheat. A little "bounce" or consistent slight camera/car wobble intercut with B-roll driving shots might be enough to sell the scene.

If you're shooting out the front windows, then you really have to shift into drive at some point, otherwise you're into some kind of greenscreen or rear projection work.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

Old school rear screen projection also look up "Poor Man's Process" It's a way to simulate driving while the car is static. One of the most effect uses of this technique is in "One the Waterfront" where Brando and Steiger are in the cab. The window shade in the cab's back window was a last minute idea. I forget the whole story but they couldn't figure out how to make it work and that's the solution they came up with. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 27 January 2008 - 07:47 PM.

#4 hamish

hamish
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:36 AM

Thanks!

hey a couple of guys i know had to do a simillar thing in thier short film , they drove around filming from the back of the car then luckily in our school studio we could drive the car halfway in through a double door and we projected the footage from the filming aimed from the front onto a projection screen at the back of the car, and because the scene was set at night time it worked out pretty good.

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Visual Products

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio