Roy Cross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

Hello:

I realize this is a stretch, but does anyone have some 35mm Ilford HP5 or FP4 sitting in the back of their fridge that they want to sell me?

Roy in Montreal

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:02 AM

Assuming you are after cine lengths...

I do know Ilford take yearly requests for ULF (large format) film in weirdo sizes 7x17", 8x20" etc... with that in mind 35mm uncut and in bulk might be quite easy for them to do as a special order as its a standard size, not sure about sprockets though - I'd contact them directly.

#3 James Baker

James Baker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hello:

I realize this is a stretch, but does anyone have some 35mm Ilford HP5 or FP4 sitting in the back of their fridge that they want to sell me?

Roy in Montreal

Try here if you are looking for bulk 100' lengths (or 35mm cassette rolls): http://www.freestyle...in.php?cat_id=0

Go to b+w film on the right hand menu, then to 100', and then you can see what they have (btw, Arista 400 is supposedly the same as HP5; they also sell some interesting films from Eastern Europe)

But not sure what you are wanting to use this for...(?)

#4 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:35 PM

Try here if you are looking for bulk 100' lengths (or 35mm cassette rolls): http://www.freestyle...in.php?cat_id=0

Go to b+w film on the right hand menu, then to 100', and then you can see what they have (btw, Arista 400 is supposedly the same as HP5; they also sell some interesting films from Eastern Europe)

But not sure what you are wanting to use this for...(?)

If it's made in Germany, it's not HP5. Ilford film is still made in England.
The perforation pitch and profile of stills film isn't the same as that of MP film; I don't know how it would run in a cine camera, if that's your intention. I'm fairly sure it wouldn't print properly.

#5 Roy Cross

Roy Cross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:11 PM

Thanks everyone,

I'm looking to unspool some in my Konvas so 100' loads of bulk still film would be ok but I too wondered about issues of sprocket holes and pitch. I'd be looking to print it for projection. I found some of the 35 bulk pricing to be a bit steep.

I shot some about 8 or 9 years ago when I was testing stocks for a feature I directed. I really liked it but was convinced otherwise because of my DOPs preference and some stats produced by a guy at the NFB. He basically said unless I was prepared to have it processed and printed in the UK (where I guess they used Ilford chemicals?) there wouldn't be any real difference.

However, I stumbled onto some tests I did for said feature and I'd really like to revisit the possibilities.

Thanks again...

Roy in Montreal

#6 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:11 PM

Thanks everyone,
I shot some about 8 or 9 years ago when I was testing stocks for a feature I directed. I really liked it but was convinced otherwise because of my DOPs preference and some stats produced by a guy at the NFB. He basically said unless I was prepared to have it processed and printed in the UK (where I guess they used Ilford chemicals?) there wouldn't be any real difference.

I would ask the folks at "harmon" who are the suscessors of the old Ilford. When Ilford was in trouble they discontinued a lot of products, and since Harman has taken over in a management byout they have been making some of the discontinued products available. It would (I Think) be far easier for them to make up some 35mm MP film, than to coat a different type of film. (assumiing they still have the right perforating machines)

who knows what sort of lot they would have to make to be ecconomical, Could they make some movie film while sliting still film from the rest of the roll? (50 inches by 3000ft)

The still film sold by Freestyle is all Ks1870 perf, so would be a strech to use for movies. Thye have had a wild ride with their private brands.

Asrista B&W used to be Ilford. With the re-org, Ilford no longer makes private brands.

Then they had ARista.EDU, made in Hungary, - Forte went out of business.

Then they had Arista II, made by AGFAphoto, When AgfaPhoto went out of business they had just received a large shipment (but Freestyle still has clearout stock.)

Thne there is Asista.EDU Ultra, which I think is from FOMA. (at least it is Chezh made) I am keeping my fingers crossed.

#7 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:19 AM

The print stock goes on the outside of the printer sprocket, so has a slightly longer pitch than MP negative (0.187" as against 0.1866"). Still film has the same long pitch, so it would slip and your print wouldn't be sharp. The camera might not be too keen on the longer pitch either.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

CineLab

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio