4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:39 PM

I saw a post on here not too long ago stating that 16mm release prints are not very popular exhibiton formats at festivals these days. While I find this rather hard to believe, I figured I'd ask since I've been out of the loop for a while and just getting back into it. I know 35mm is far more popular, but surely the option to show 16mm prints has not totally gone by the wayside...

#2 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 928 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

I don't know, but most people that shoot 16mm transfer the film in telecine and edit non-linear, then finish on HD or some video format. Most major festivals project HDcam and the smaller ones will project all the way down to a DVD.

But, there's got to be a couple film festivals out there that will still take 16mm prints.

#3 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 928 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

Here's one...

http://bigmuddyfilm....ub_guidelns.htm

#4 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

An awful lot of festivals still play 16mm films. It's still the main screening format for experimental films. However, I suspect the quality of the sound will actually have dropped since the 16mm heydey and lets face it, it wasn't fantastic back in the day.

Most festivals are just reaching the dizzy heights of Digibeta right now, although Beta SP is still a very common format, as well as Mini-DV and even DVD.

It's so expensive to make 16mm prints, especially for anything long form or with a soundtrack that people tend to just finish digitally now for festivals.

love

Freya

#5 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:27 PM

I saw a post on here not too long ago stating that 16mm release prints are not very popular exhibiton formats at festivals these days. While I find this rather hard to believe, I figured I'd ask since I've been out of the loop for a while and just getting back into it. I know 35mm is far more popular, but surely the option to show 16mm prints has not totally gone by the wayside...

16mm optical sound is very poor quality. The actual dynamic range possible isn't much better than a telephone. Oh. And it's mono.

Not to mention that everyone's been converting their 16mm cameras to Super 16 over the last 30 years.

jb

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

FJS International, LLC