#1 Dan McCormick

Dan McCormick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:09 PM

Hi

I'm shooting exteriors in a forest tomorrow, and today the weather forcast changed to snow showers, which I doubt because it never snows down here and the weather forecast always seems to be wrong, but just in case it does I was wondering if anyone knows of ways to make snowy days look really good. I don't think it'll settle where we are filming as its right next to a river and the ground is always wet and there's a pretty thich tree coverage around the area.

I've never shot in snow before and tomorrow are the only exterior scenes in my graduation film from uni, so I don't want to make any big mistakes.

I've been told before to front-light snow so it looks white, but I don't have a generator so that would mean shooting with the sun behind the camera which I don't want to do and would mean making a change from our scene layout and camera positions. How does snow look if its sidelit or 3/4 backlit?

Also, I have a pola, 85, 81C and EF (I'm shooting tungsten 200T 7217) and want to at least balance to white if not go slightly warm, I have some very strong corals that I don't want to use as I haven't tested them, a white promist set and soft nd grads. I had planned to use an 85 and 1/4 promist when I thought the weather was good, it's a happy scene between a father and his 2 children.

Should I make any exposure compensation? I don't have a spot meter in case it settles, but if it does should I expose to the reflective reading from the floor looking skywards even if that means over/underexposing actors to stop it looking too dull or too bright? Or if anyone knows of easy mistakes I could avoid it'd be great to know.

Thanks

Dan McCormick

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam