#1 Daniel Carruthers

Daniel Carruthers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hey, Just finished a 48 hour filmslam. basically you get handed a random script and assigned 2 lead actors than you have 48 hours to shoot and edit your film so it can priemier 48 hours later.
We got a really tough subject to shoot, we had no props or sets, because we had no idea what we would get?!
But I was quite happy with ours considering the time restrictions, and the lack of prep.
I was the Director of photography, I dont expect anyone to really critique my work, cause its youtube quality.
But any feed back will be nice to hear.
We won the viewers choice for best film, which was the biggest prize for the night.
I had a great crew on this shoot. and it was alot of fun, but I dont think I will ever do a filmslam again.
I prefer to have time in pre production

#2 Kirsty Stark

Kirsty Stark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Adelaide, Australia

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

Congratulations - that's an impressive effort for 48 hours! Great concept too. Was the script already written and you had to go out and produce it? Or did some writing and story development come into it as well?

#3 Daniel Carruthers

Daniel Carruthers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

heres a photo from behind the scenes. I really dident have much to work with. we only had a single backdrop that was 6 feet long.
So I was really limited to camera movement

#4 Daniel Carruthers

Daniel Carruthers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:08 PM

Thanks kirsty

we did have to make some script changes. it wasnt written in proper script format, so it was about 10 pages long, and 1 of the rules is the shorts have to be shorter than 7 minutes, Im surprised the judges approved that script?
So Ana the director cut back more than half of the dialogue, but we still got the main point accross.
Also the scene in the hospital with the girl eating the pickle, that was not in the script.
we really wanted to get out of the womb, cause the whole story was just these 2 overies talking, thats it!
I wish we had 1 more scene with the pregnant girl, it was supposed to end with her leaving the hospital, but we where so tired by that point and it was midnight and the editor really needed the footage. so we scrapped the ending.

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal