1 reply to this topic

#1 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:34 AM

Hey. Can anyone recommend a good tax accountant i the Hollywood area that will be familiar with filing for a freelancer? It's my first year doing it and I want to find good help.

Any other advice is certainly welcomed.

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:02 AM

Hey. Can anyone recommend a good tax accountant i the Hollywood area that will be familiar with filing for a freelancer? It's my first year doing it and I want to find good help.
Any other advice is certainly welcomed.

Not exactly the information you asked for but: I'm in pretty much the same situation since I run my business as a DBA, for tax purposes I'm an individual filing a schedule C. Years ago my CPA encouraged me to start using Quicken (I run Home and Business but Basic would work) as a data entry system for all my business purposes. She encourages (nags?) me to avoid cash transactions and payments whenever possible and use checks, electronic transfers, credit cards, etc. That way at the end of the year I do a backup to jump drive off my Quicken, give it to her, give her all my receipts, utility bills, credit card bills, she then loads it all into her Quickbooks Pro accounting system and has everything she needs to calculate and file taxes, etc. I give her any 1099's I receive but she calculates profit and taxes from my Quicken data since I'm keeping up with deposits, etc. there's very little if any difference between what the 1099's show and Quicken. The IRS is okay with this approach since Becky and I are making a good faith effort to pay taxes due and there's a good auditable electronic "paper" trail in her Quickbooks system.

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies