#1 Tobias Marshall

Tobias Marshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:18 AM

I am lighting a short using the Movietube with a Z1 as the docking camera, we will be using Zeiss Super Speeds T1.3 or possibly 16mm Distagons if the back element doesnt imped on the screen with the widest which is 9.5mm (if anybody knows it would save me testing it as it seems there is no infomation on the web).

I need to know what to rate the Z1 with the Movietube (if it affects I do not know) I have been told in the past that the Z1 should be rated at 320 ASA. This is because of a night ext. where the 1.2HMI and a 2k are the biggest in my arsenal and it would help a bundle with my calculations.

The night scene is in a tunnel with many sodium vapour lights as praticals, I wondered considering the format if this would look too brown/yellow and whether there is anythings I can do on the camera side to manipulate this, also what gel reduces this if it possible. I believe superwhite flame can convert (from 3.2k?) to give the sodium look but Im looking for the opposite.

Any tips or advice lighting with the Movietube would be greatly received as Im a first time user.

Thanks.

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:11 PM

16mm lenses should NOT be used on the MOVIEtube.

The MOVIEtube will eat around 2 to 2.5 stops of light, so bring a lot more than two HMIs.

#3 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

I don't think the Z1 is as fast as 320 ASA, something closer to 120ASA I've not measured this - but its definatly slower than the typical 320ASA of 2/3" video cameras.

With a 1.2K HMI, as your big light you might find your stuggling for exposure on the Z1 on its own with out adding a lens adapter to the mix - nightmare.

If you want to use sodium vapor lights as pratical illumination - I would avoid the Z1 and movie tube and look for a faster camera. Maybe a Digi-Beta(DVW970 is really good in low light)/HDCAM or Varicam - something with a 2/3" chip, they would work much better in low light and allow you to take more advantage of practical illumination.

Cost wise it might not be much more expensive - once you have the cost of Z1 + super speeds + extra light needed + extra time needed to rehearse and pull focus on supers at T1.3. Your probably approching the rental of full size 2/3" HD camera HDCAM/Varicam/HVX500 ect with a decent HD Zoom - which would ultimatly give you much better images. I would shop about see if you can do a deal and shoot on a better format within your budget

#4 Tobias Marshall

Tobias Marshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:14 AM

I am acutally only hiring the Movietube as the rest of gear as been provided for free, it is a case of having to use whats available to me as there is no-budget, its not ideal.

I recently assisted on a test using Movietube with a cameraman, he used a Panasonic DVX100 as the docking camera in low-light situations, does this camera have a similar ASA to the Z1, as I could push for one if thats not the case (How come an ASA rating is not published for these cameras in the spec?).

As for the 16mm Lenses, I spoke to a Movietube Supplier (he didnt know much more!) here in the UK, he said its not recommended however as long as the back element doesnt hit the screen, and there would be a change to the focal lenght ofcourse. Not saying your wrong but could you explain further why you shouldnt use them?

As the night ext, I could have described it further; its under a long bridge with many lights either side of the walls which I believe are sodium vapour, I would get a decent exposure however im concerned it wont photograph well due to the nature of the light thus I was looking for the things in my above post. The HMI isnt to light the scene, just maybe for a kicker, also the 2k for some bounce on the keyside. The Biggest light you can run off mains in the UK is a 1.2HMI, im not sure about incandescent fixtures, I believe its a 2k but would love to know otherwise, I would love to play with a 5k!.

As for my Focus Puller, its some good training! Just as its is for me and my lighting!

Edited by Tobias Marshall, 06 February 2008 - 10:16 AM.

#5 Tobias Marshall

Tobias Marshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:19 AM

I am acutally only hiring the Movietube as the rest of gear as been provided for free, it is a case of having to use whats available to me as there is no-budget, its not ideal.

I recently assisted on a test using Movietube with a cameraman, he used a Panasonic DVX100 as the docking camera in low-light situations, does this camera have a similar ASA to the Z1, as I could push for one if thats the case (How come an ASA rating is not published for these cameras in the spec?).

As for the 16mm Lenses, I spoke to a Movietube Supplier here in the UK, he said its not recommended however as long as the back element doesnt hit the screen, and there would be a change to the focal lenght ofcourse, he couldnt tell me anymore. Not saying your wrong but could you explain further why you shouldnt use them?

As the night ext, I could have described it further; its under a long bridge with many lights either side of the walls which I believe are sodium vapour, I would get a decent exposure however im concerned it wont photograph well due to the nature of the light thus I was looking for the things in my above post. The HMI isnt to light the scene, just maybe for a kicker, also the 2k for some bounce on the keyside. The Biggest light you can run off mains in the UK is a 1.2HMI, im not sure about incandescent fixtures, I believe its a 2k but would love to know otherwise, I would love to play with a 5k!.

As for my Focus Puller, its some good training! Just as its is for me and my lighting!

#6 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:51 PM

Factory recommends definitely do not as it can hit the optical elements. Also the small exit pupil on the rear of the lens can cause a portholing effect (darkened corners) on the projected image that it does cover. The system was designed for 35mm optics.

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc