#1 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:22 AM

I've heard some negative comments about this companies grip equipment and I believe they currently are out of business. Did they ever manufacture any lighting equipment? I've seen a number of fixtures that were supposedly made by them and the only identifying feature was the "Hollywood" name cast into a locking knob. Otherwise than that, the fixture had all the characteristics of an old Bardwell & McAllister.

#2 Darryl Richard Humber

Darryl Richard Humber
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Grip

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:09 PM

I remember years ago every now and then a c-stand would show up in a rack from a rental house while we were working that said "Hollywood Scene Dock". They were obviously very old (1950's ish). I haven't seen anything else with that name in years and just figured it was an old company that went out of business.

#3 Darryl Richard Humber

Darryl Richard Humber
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Grip

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:19 PM

I found a website that is selling an old Hollywood Scene Dock lamp for $1295.00 (wow) as memorabilia at americanheritige.us. Something to think about.

#4 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:36 AM

Hollywood scene dock made lights early on and then made only grip gear, some where in the 80's they went under and the name was purchased by the guys at Pyramid films. They made some stuff but then focused their manufacturing on the Bardwell McCallister name they purchased later. They were making some nice grip stuff but now they are focusing on HPL technology. See their website and Ad in AC.

some cool lighting.

#5 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:38 AM

Thanks Robert. That is the kind of backround information I was looking for. I have seen some fixtures, listed as being made by Hollywood Scene, but they weren't labeled in any way. The odd thing was how strongly they resembled the older Bardwell equipment. I had incorrectly thought that Hollywood Scene Dock only made grip equipment.

#6 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:46 PM

I think they stopped manufacturing lighting in the 50's or 60's. I know that Kliegel was a dominant force as was Bardwell. I think some manufacturers "borrowed" manufacturing styles from others.

some also just repackaged other manufacturers gear and resold it. as Helix and RPS did with Ultralights, Mole.

#7 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:28 PM

Robert, if old lighting fixtures and company history interest you, this link might be interesting: http://www.klieglbros.com/

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Opal

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Tai Audio