Photo

Whats the model number for the new CineAlta?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

So a guy at Heavy Light in NY mentioned a new Sony camera that is being billed as the latest CineAlta but is available for $8K (US). Am I hearing this right? $8K? If anyone know what camera this might be, thanks.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:12 PM

He's probably referring to the new Sony XDCAM EX:
http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/

But I don't think it's part of the CineAlta line-up:
http://bssc.sel.sony...oot/index.shtml

The F23 and F900R are the latest CineAlta cameras, and they aren't $8,000!

#3 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:17 PM

Thats what I thought it might be, the XDCAM. but this guy was swearing up and down it was being referred to as the CineAlta. Weird.

#4 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:22 PM

Sorry, XDCAM EX. I am assuming thats the one. Too small for my taste.

#5 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:34 PM

Sorry, XDCAM EX. I am assuming thats the one. Too small for my taste.

I saw that one at Comtel a few weeks ago. It's full 1920 x 1080 three chip, but 1/2" -- a high end pro-sumer camera.

-- J.S.

#6 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:36 PM

Hmm. Its cute I guess.

#7 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:37 PM

IIRC, ik saw a sony add for their CineAlta line somewhere, and it had the XDCAmEX pictured at the bottom of it. I also though most XDcams have a cinealta logo on them? I mean it's just branding, but that could be what it is?

#8 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:39 PM

IIRC, ik saw a sony add for their CineAlta line somewhere, and it had the XDCAmEX pictured at the bottom of it. I also though most XDcams have a cinealta logo on them? I mean it's just branding, but that could be what it is?

Thats interesting. Do you remember where you saw that ad? I am curious if they are now just using that name now for marketing, and not in reference to one particular camera.

#9 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:56 PM

I belive it was in POST magazine, talking about Sony's HDNA or something like that. I can check it when i get back to my house.

#10 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:59 PM

I belive it was in POST magazine, talking about Sony's HDNA or something like that. I can check it when i get back to my house.

Yeah, thanks. Mui appreciado.

#11 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:07 PM

If you go to the sony site, then collateral and brochure, on page 10 of the pdf, youll notive the cinealta engraving. ..
http://bssc.sel.sony...mEX_index.shtml

http://bssc.sel.sony...camEX_broch.pdf (page 10 of this pdf)

#12 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:19 PM

He's probably referring to the new Sony XDCAM EX:
http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/

If you watch this clip you can see that it says CineAlta on the side of the camera. From what I understand "CineAlta" is just a name for a line of cameras, not a name of a particular camera. I heard this from someone a few months ago and thought it odd, but it appears to be true.

#13 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:20 PM

If you go to the sony site, then collateral and brochure, on page 10 of the pdf, youll notive the cinealta engraving. ..
http://bssc.sel.sony...mEX_index.shtml

http://bssc.sel.sony...camEX_broch.pdf (page 10 of this pdf)

Wow. You're right. There it is, plain as day. So what gives? Now the term "CineAlta" has no real meaning now besides being a marketing tool. Just like HD Radio. HA!

#14 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:28 PM

The guy here at Panavision Auckland said it was branded with the Cinealta logo in part due to the fact it was built in the same factory as the rest of the higher end range, I think he inferred it was also designed by the same people.

#15 A. Whitehouse

A. Whitehouse
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Director
  • Melbourne

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

The guy here at Panavision Auckland said it was branded with the Cinealta logo in part due to the fact it was built in the same factory as the rest of the higher end range, I think he inferred it was also designed by the same people.

Yeah I think the "Cinealta" branding refers to the design team behind the product. Its also a marketing exercise. Looks like a great little camera, 1/2 inch chips make it interesting but its a pity that they haven't updated the HDV codec.

#16 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:49 PM

Yes, I heard it was from Atsuga.

-- J.S.

#17 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:17 PM

So is the CineAlta not made by Sony? Or is there a single, Sony manufacturing "factory" that only makes CineAlta branded cameras? And now as DP's should we refer to the CineAlta we all know, now as the CineAlta 900/950 to distinguish it from these other imposters!

It seems weird you spend years putting out the CineAlta as a singular name into the filmmaking community, and then water it down with branded prosumer cameras. But I guess that will help it's sales of course. And you can wow your clients with your very own CineAlta.

Sweet.

#18 Jess Haas

Jess Haas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Monica, Ca

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:10 AM

The camera does indead say CineAlta on the side because it was designed by the design team that makes the CineAlta cameras. This explains a number of the cameras features like semi decent manual controls on the lens and 1/2" chips. It seems that their other engineers havn't been able to get their head around such concepts so I am glad they handed this project over to the CineAlta team.

Strangely their consumer division has also come out with a new prosumer HDV camera in the same price range. It is tape based HDV with an optional CF adapter that lets you record to compact flash. Hopefully they will also come out with an SxS card adapter so that their can be some sort of compatibility between the two cameras. Since it is a tape based camera it is not capable of the higher bitrate that the EX is. I have been told that the higher bitrate produces a significant improvement in picture quality. What I am really psyched about is the 1/2" chips since it seems that stuffing that many pixels into 1/3" chips has resulted in a bunch of cameras with rather noisy images.

If you want to check out the EX I know that Gear recently got one.

~Jess

#19 Michael Belanger

Michael Belanger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Long Beach, CA

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:33 PM

I've been shooting with the camera for about a week. It is indeed branded with a CineAlta badge. 1920 x 1080 chips, 35 mbps recording rate using the same mpeg 2 codec as the other XDCAMs, but recording to solid state cards.

The lens is a very decent Fujinon, fixed, with full manual controls.

One of the really nice features is a fully 10-bit HD-SDI output so it can be recorded to HDCAM, DVC Pro HD, etc.

Will it produce the same image as an HDCAM? No. But the street price is about $6,500

It's a direct competitor to the Panasonic HVX-200 and seems to produce a slightly better image with 1/3 the bandwidth. Plus it has 1/2" chips for "better" depth of field.

So a guy at Heavy Light in NY mentioned a new Sony camera that is being billed as the latest CineAlta but is available for $8K (US). Am I hearing this right? $8K? If anyone know what camera this might be, thanks.

#20 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:43 PM

I've been shooting with the camera for about a week. It is indeed branded with a CineAlta badge. 1920 x 1080 chips, 35 mbps recording rate using the same mpeg 2 codec as the other XDCAMs, but recording to solid state cards.

The lens is a very decent Fujinon, fixed, with full manual controls.

One of the really nice features is a fully 10-bit HD-SDI output so it can be recorded to HDCAM, DVC Pro HD, etc.

Will it produce the same image as an HDCAM? No. But the street price is about $6,500

It's a direct competitor to the Panasonic HVX-200 and seems to produce a slightly better image with 1/3 the bandwidth. Plus it has 1/2" chips for "better" depth of field.

Interesting. Got any samples?

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc