#1 Megan Woeppel

Megan Woeppel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

I've been working with the XD camera the last few projects, and have come to to find the LCD screen tends to get stuck open. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a known design flaw with the camera? Any tips on how to prevent this from happening?

#2 Michael Belanger

Michael Belanger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Long Beach, CA

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:22 PM

Hi Megan,

I'm assuming you're shooting with an EX1, the new solid-state camcorder from Sony.

Is the LCD stickingin the fully open position? I haven't seen that problem, but mine does fail to seat properly when fully stowed. This happens 1 time out of 20 maybe, with the screen not fully underneath the microphone block on the top of the camera. The screen has a bit of play vertically and if it's a little to low it doesn't line up with the tab underneath the mic block. Lift it a bit and it will work properly.

If that's not the problem reply back with more info.

M.

I've been working with the XD camera the last few projects, and have come to to find the LCD screen tends to get stuck open. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a known design flaw with the camera? Any tips on how to prevent this from happening?

#3 Megan Woeppel

Megan Woeppel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:18 AM

I'm talking about the F350. It seems that every now and then, the screen will get stuck in the fully open position. I've found that if you push in the plastic piece at the base of where the screen is attached to the camera, it will close. But that seems like it would be a danger for breaking over time.

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:57 PM

Ours works fine, just checked. It likely needs some adjustment.

#5 Michael Belanger

Michael Belanger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Long Beach, CA

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:27 PM

The F350 shooter I know says he's had no prob with his LCD, so something seems off.

I'm talking about the F350. It seems that every now and then, the screen will get stuck in the fully open position. I've found that if you push in the plastic piece at the base of where the screen is attached to the camera, it will close. But that seems like it would be a danger for breaking over time.

#6 Etienne van Leeuwen

Etienne van Leeuwen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Amsterdam

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:48 AM

I have seen it before, but very few times. 3 times as I recall. It's not a common problem, so the tech. guys can fix it.
Please do not try solving this yourself!!
It's a fragile part of the cam, so I tend to flip it as little as possible.
How old is the body?

Etienne.

#7 Megan Woeppel

Megan Woeppel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:17 PM

It's a camera in the rental pool of a film school. They have had it in the rental pool for a little less than a year.

I am definitely not trying to fix it on my own. The camera was sent to Sony for repair. I'm just trying to find out if anybody else has had this problem before.

You say you had the problem 3 times... how often do you use the XD?

#8 Etienne van Leeuwen

Etienne van Leeuwen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Amsterdam

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:47 AM

Hi Megan,
I never had the problem myself, but I've seen collegues confronted with it. I think it's a matter of "lots of hands" on the body and a lot of hands tend to flip it a little roughly........
I work very often with xd-cam, about 3 times a week.

greetings
Etienne.

#9 Megan Woeppel

Megan Woeppel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

Thanks so much!

#10 john lanford

john lanford

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Jackson, MS

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

I use the 350 almost daily and I have experience the same thing on a number of occasions. The tendency for this flip out to do this comes from over extending it's flipped out position. I, too, have found that "re-alligning" the plastic 'clip' at the base allows for the screen to operate properly again. It is fragile, simple as that.

Be careful when operating these cameras with the flip out monitor open. I would suggest to only use the monitor in the flipped out position, with exceptions of course, when the camera is mounted to a tripod. Using it in the flipped out position when hand held is when the chances for overextending it are greater.

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

CineTape

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider