michael radziewicz

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

hello,

i want to "transfer" a clip from digital format to 8mm. i've found a couple companies that do this, but for some serious $ ($250 a min). anyone know of a cheaper service / or adivce on doing it yourself. thank you. michael

#2 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:58 PM

To 8mm film?

Maybe there is some info here. They focus on Super 8.

http://www.filmshooting.com/

Tim

#3 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:35 PM

There is also a Super 8 subforum here B) on cinematography.com.

Michael, unfortunately I don't know where you are based geographically, but from the 250 DOLLAR/min quote, I presume you are based in North America.

ARRI Media in Munich as well as Eclair in Paris offered film recording services to Super 8 - if that is the format you mean with "8mm" - in 2006 when I researched this matter myself.
These are bespoke services, however, not featured in their regular price lists and are hence calculated in working hours. Expect a close-to four digit euro sum per working hour. Depending on how much video minutes you would have to transfer, this might actually be worth a quoting phone call to these companies, as with low minutes, you might get a better deal to what you got quoted so far.
Beware, however, that the print stock and any other material costs incl. potential transfers from your video medium (esp. if it is consumer or "prosumer"-grade) to another video medium they require for what in Germany is called FAZ (film recording) has to be added.

If you need a transfer to "8mm" as in Normal 8 (a.k.a Double 8 or Regular 8 or Standard 8), then I must inform you that I am unaware of any company offering such service.

#4 Chance Shirley

Chance Shirley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Director

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:08 PM

Down and dirty method...

1) Record a few seconds of gray card (properly exposed) on your digital tape.

2) Play the tape through the nicest progressive scan monitor you can get your hands on (in a darkened room).

3) Point a spot meter at the screen during the gray card playback to calculate exposure.

4) Use an 8mm or Super 8 camera to record the digital footage playing back through the monitor.

I haven't tried this myself, but have read about others using this as a low-budget "tape-to-film" technique.

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

CineTape

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Opal

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine