Photo

Do Digital Still Camera's Give A "Close Too Look" As An HD/SD Camera?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Farber

Michael Farber

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:39 AM

Hello all. I am new to the forum and am hopeful to learn a lot from everyone here.

Right off the bat I had a question I wanted to post before going to bed. It might be stupid...I am a punchy, but I thought I would ask.

I have been shooting a lot of still photography with my new Nikon CoolPix S50, which my Fiance gave me for my birthday. I love this thing. The coolest thing besides it's small, is that you are able to shoot still photos in a 16:9 format. I have realized, as an aspiring director of photographer, this helps me with composition very much. I am starting to look at my photographs different and shoot them more like if I were shooting a film. I use ambient light as well as set ups.

My question is, would the images that I get out of my camera, with lighting in general, be almost the same as the image I would get out of any of the HD/SD camera's? I understand that a lot of the cameras are 10 megapixels and up, as oppose to my 7.2, but does the digital format change with a higher end HD camera or are the lighting principles almost the same.

If I am not making sense I apologize. I guess I am using my still camera as a practice device, which I think is pretty handy.

Any thoughts?

Thnx.

#2 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:34 AM

Hi Michael,

first of all, welcome to the board!
Second, a digital camera is a nice tool for practice. I use Nikon DSLR with interchangeable lenses for work and also for shooting light tests. How close your small camera comes to a good chip in terms of low light capabilities and the like remains the question. I guess you'd have to try and look at stills from a video camera and compare them to pics you shot with the Nikon.

As for lighting, yes the same principles apply. But as I said, the camera will most likely have a different dynamic range than HD cameras (the dynamic range is the difference between the darkest parts not yet full black and the highlights not fully blown out white).

Your 7.2 MP camera has way more resolution than any HD/SD camera out there, save the few 4K cameras. "Normal" full HD is 1920x1080 pixels which equals around 2 MP! And SD in PAL is 0.4 MP.

Cheers, Dave

#3 Michael Farber

Michael Farber

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:21 PM

Hi Michael,

first of all, welcome to the board!
Second, a digital camera is a nice tool for practice. I use Nikon DSLR with interchangeable lenses for work and also for shooting light tests. How close your small camera comes to a good chip in terms of low light capabilities and the like remains the question. I guess you'd have to try and look at stills from a video camera and compare them to pics you shot with the Nikon.

As for lighting, yes the same principles apply. But as I said, the camera will most likely have a different dynamic range than HD cameras (the dynamic range is the difference between the darkest parts not yet full black and the highlights not fully blown out white).

Your 7.2 MP camera has way more resolution than any HD/SD camera out there, save the few 4K cameras. "Normal" full HD is 1920x1080 pixels which equals around 2 MP! And SD in PAL is 0.4 MP.

Cheers, Dave

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the help. I wasn't aware of that. Well I think the best thing would be to rent a HD camera and compare it to my still camera in a shoot.

Thanks again,

Mike

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

CineTape

Visual Products

CineLab