4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Sobey

Andrew Sobey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:07 PM

I'm looking into doing a green screen interview (I hate usually hate those, but this one is kind of a joke) with either a V1U, a PD-170, or a DSR-250. I was thinking the extra resolution of the V1U would help with pulling the key afterwards, and I also thought that for once the long GOP might actually work in my favor. Also, I know that certain camera settings can help with keying, is anyone aware of V1U specific menu settings that help? Other suggestions?

Thanks.

#2 Boyd McCollum

Boyd McCollum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Director
  • Boulder, CO

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:37 PM

I'm looking into doing a green screen interview (I hate usually hate those, but this one is kind of a joke) with either a V1U, a PD-170, or a DSR-250. I was thinking the extra resolution of the V1U would help with pulling the key afterwards, and I also thought that for once the long GOP might actually work in my favor. Also, I know that certain camera settings can help with keying, is anyone aware of V1U specific menu settings that help? Other suggestions?

Thanks.

I'd go with the V1U with the extra resolution and shoot 1080/24p. The progressive scan should help with your keying. I'm not too familiar with the camera, but you should see if you can take the image directly into a laptop on set - that should help a lot with the key.

Also look at what options you have in post as well - not all keyers are the same.

#3 Andrew Sobey

Andrew Sobey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Student

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:43 PM

Now, with the V1U it doesn't actually do 24P native. It's using some kind of weird fakery (beyond pulldown) to make interlaced footage look progressive, then putting that down on tape. Is that still better than just leaving the interlaced footage interlaced (as it is captured by the camera)?

As for the keying software, I'm planning on going with AE, as I'm fairly confident that that's better than the built in keying effect with FCP. I'm also thinking about buying shake before too long, but I know absolutely nothing about it.

Thanks for the help.

Sobey

#4 Boyd McCollum

Boyd McCollum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Director
  • Boulder, CO

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:56 PM

Now, with the V1U it doesn't actually do 24P native. It's using some kind of weird fakery (beyond pulldown) to make interlaced footage look progressive, then putting that down on tape. Is that still better than just leaving the interlaced footage interlaced (as it is captured by the camera)?

As for the keying software, I'm planning on going with AE, as I'm fairly confident that that's better than the built in keying effect with FCP. I'm also thinking about buying shake before too long, but I know absolutely nothing about it.

Thanks for the help.

Sobey

As far as I can tell from reviews I've read, it is true native progressive (not the faux 24F stuff with the Z1), and at 1920x1080 you're going to be hard pressed to get better resolution, especially with DVCams. Here's part of the press release from Sony itself about the chips (in bold type):

PARK RIDGE, N.J., Sept. 19, 2006 -- Sony is expanding its line-up of HDV? products for professionals with the HVR-V1U HDV compact camcorder.
The new model delivers true 24P progressive scan capture, and uses three of Sony?s ClearVid CMOS Sensor? chips combined with Sony's Enhanced Imaging Processor? technology to provide greater sensitivity, higher resolution, lower noise and a wider dynamic range."

AE should work well for keying. Also, in the camera, turn off any sharpening (you should play with the settings to see which works best, but less is more).

#5 Andrew Sobey

Andrew Sobey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:38 PM

I stand corrected. Thanks for the help.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Willys Widgets

The Slider