9 replies to this topic

#1 chris marte

chris marte
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:20 PM

Hey guys, i'm gonna be working on an experimental short film soon, as a DP. I've got everything ready and designed for the shoot ( even though we don't film until April), except for a couple of scenes where 2 characters will be walking on the roof of a room, upside down. Their upside down movement resembles the scenes in 2001: A Space Odyssey where the astronauts and attendants walk on the walls until they're completely upside down. I've seen a documentary about 2001 and it didn't explain how Stanley Kubrick was able to do those scenes.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could tell me a practical, low budget way of doing this.
I included a picture below if anyone needs to get a visual idea of what i'm talking about:

Attached Images

• 2001ontheroof.jpg

#2 Valerio Sacchetto

Valerio Sacchetto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Student
  • Italy

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:14 PM

You can achieve the effect by dressing your room upside down.
I.E. putting armchairs on the ceiling and chandeliers on the floor. Not easy nor cheap.
The effect in 2001 was achieved by linking the camera to the room, the place where the astronaut walk is esentially a treadmill which runs at the same speed as the room is revolving. The room and the camera turns while the actor remains on the (real) ground (at least that's what i remember). again Not easy nor cheap.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:06 PM

For more info on the 2001 effects check out the special features on the new remastered version of it DVD. IIRC correctly, they talk a good deal about the VFX of the film.

#4 Lee Maisel

Lee Maisel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 67 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:20 PM

on 2001, the whole set rotated! It was huge! especially the one where he was jogging. that whole set was one big squirrel cage. Must be nice to have a budget.

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:14 PM

The documentary "Kubrick: A Life in Pictures" has some good explanations, video, and photos of the 2001 sets in motion.

#6 Andres Pardo aka Gral Treegan

Andres Pardo aka Gral Treegan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Director
  • Mexico DF

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:49 PM

Hey guys, i'm gonna be working on an experimental short film soon, as a DP. I've got everything ready and designed for the shoot ( even though we don't film until April), except for a couple of scenes where 2 characters will be walking on the roof of a room, upside down. Their upside down movement resembles the scenes in 2001: A Space Odyssey where the astronauts and attendants walk on the walls until they're completely upside down. I've seen a documentary about 2001 and it didn't explain how Stanley Kubrick was able to do those scenes.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could tell me a practical, low budget way of doing this.
I included a picture below if anyone needs to get a visual idea of what i'm talking about:

http://web.mac.com/k.....t&vfx-web.mov

the7th commercial in my vfx demo reel have some rotating rooms. its not cheap and not easy for art department.

good lock with youre project!!

G.T.

#7 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:01 PM

Kubrick wasn't by any means the first to use this technique. Fred Astaire danced around a room and across the ceiling in Royal Wedding (1951).

#8 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:09 PM

You'll need to make a gimble to turn a room and it is not cheap and best left to those that do it for a living. Other than that if they are just on the ceiling then simply dress the floor like a ceiling.

#9 chris marte

chris marte
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

Thanks a lot guys for all the advice! It was all really helpful.

#10 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

Kubrick wasn't by any means the first to use this technique. Fred Astaire danced around a room and across the ceiling in Royal Wedding (1951).

That movie was nice. :)

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

The Slider

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio